WTF??? Fuel pump dead again! UPDATE! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

WTF??? Fuel pump dead again! UPDATE!

Arrgh! On my '94 Grand Cherokee, I had some fuel pump problems about three weeks ago. Dropped the tank, replaced the pump - problem solved, right? NOT! Did some light wheeling last night and this afternoon, and on the way home (about a half mile off the trail luckilly) the pump quits again. Banged the hell out of the tank trying to coax it to run again, no luck. Finally called AAA, they dropped it off at my house.

I don't know if I wound up with a defective replacement pump or what - since I had put it in, starting was extra effort. If I cycled the key twice to let the pump build pressure, it started right away. Could that be an indicator of a faulty pump? Thank god for lifetime warranties, the replacement set me back over $200.

Anyways, I'll be replacing it again tomorrow night. Things are in my favor - last time the tank was full (23 gals.). This time I have less than 1/4 tank, so it's bound to be easier to take down. I hate getting gas baths! I've got a lift in my garage at home, so the job is not so bad for one person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: WTF??? Fuel pump dead again!

Mum where did you get the part from. I hate aftermarket crap. I stay far away from the aftermarket world if i can. If i can get the part from the dealer then i get it there. Yeh you may pay a little more, but 99% of the time the parts are better. I also have found that 50% of the time the dealer is cheaper. Go figure that one out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Re: WTF??? Fuel pump dead again!

Advanced Auto is where I bought it. The dealer wanted $100 more, so I went with AA. The pump is new, not rebuilt.

BTW, in case any one is wondering, I did swap out the relays and they're not the cause. I also checked the connector from the pump to the chassis harness, it seems to be in good shape - dry, no mud, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: WTF??? Fuel pump dead again! UPDATE!

I changed out the fuel pump after work tonight, 20 minutes to drop the tank and take the old pump out, 20 minutes to slam it back together with a parts store run in between.

Which brings up another point - I bought the pump from Advanced Auto, lifetime warranty. When I exchanged it, the asst. manager told me that because I warranteed the first one out, the new pump will only carry a 90 day warranty - WTF? It has only been two weeks since I replaced the pump the first time. He said that I could come in and speak with the manager tomorrow, and he might give me the lifetime warranty. That's a pretty $hitty deal if you ask me. I'll be in there tomorrow to speak with the manager, I plan to tell him that I buy there because they generally have what I need in stock and they also usually have the best prices. If they don't give me the warranty, I'll take my business somewhere else where a lifetime warranty means just that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 06:34 PM
Way Outta Control

Last month I bought two fuel pumps for two 91 Caravans...the prices varied greatly.

My daughter bough her's from Shucks. Cost was $207. The pump failed after 3 minutes of running. Shucks gave us quite a hasle returning the pump:
a. We can't warrantee the pump unless the assembly was installed by a qualified mechanic and shop.
b. We can't warrantee the pump unless the assembly was inspected by a qualified mechanic and shop.
c. We can't warrantee the pump unless the gas tank was completley steam cleaned out before assembly installation.
d. An on, an on, and on.

I decided to go to NAPA and buy one from them. After an AAA discount,. the final cost was $204 ( quite a surprise [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) and it's worked flawlessly.

Who thinks I'm going back to Shucks?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 06:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

about cycling the pump>>>

Nate,

About cycling the pump making the starting easier.....

I had a similar thing happen on my 300ZX. Trying to start the car would take a while to crank, 5 second maybe. But, if you killed it, it would start back up very easily. If you let it sit for a few mins it would be hard to start again....

Turns out my fuel pump controller(the pump has a control unit that varies the voltage to the pump to vary the fuel rate based on signals from the main computer frome readings on the throttle postion sensor, manifold pressure, rpm, boost level, etc) was acting up. It wasn't always giving the pump the signal that it needed to prime the fuel rails and start the engine. It was supposed to send the pump a kicker signal where the pump runs full bore for 1 second when the key is first turned to "ON" to prime the fuel rails. It seems it wasn't sending the kicker signal, but as long as the rails stayed pressurized it would start again easily. Took only about 20 seconds to go to zero fuel pressure based on my fuel pressure gauge.

I bypassed the controller with a FUSED, switched source wire from theositive battery terminal and grounded the other pin on the pump.

It would start and run every time when run like this.

I have no idea if your Cherokee has anything like the pump controller on my Z that could be causing the problem, but it might be something to check out.

Mike
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 12:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

I had the same problem when I put my FI on my 258. I bought a mopar pump with no warentee (dumb move) and it didn't work from the get go. Then I got one from Car Quest. It didn't work from the start either. Luckly CQ does warentee there stuff for life without any hassle. Since I bought the fist pump at a different store, they had me buy a new one, then when I got the pumps changed out, they gave me my money back. The thrid pump works so far. I've been told by a lot of mechanics that a lot of the "replacement" pumps are junk right off the shelf.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 03:23 PM

I used to be a manager at Advance Auto Parts, and that guys' not pulling your leg about the warranty...just 90 days. Most of the time this isn't enforced. They have to prevent people who have other problems from replacing the same parts over and over. A note about the parts at Advance. They DO have a good parts available! They key word is available. They may not be on the shelf in the store but you can get AC delco and motorcraft parts in overnight as well as Carter and TRw fuel pumps. They even have wix filters and good selection of warn winches and hardware. If you have the time and you're shopping for a good quality ASK them what else is available. We all know it's cheaper to keep cheap parts in stock because MOST people want whatever is cheaper.

Alec
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I know he's not pulling my leg, and he's just doing his job. However, I want to buy from a company who stands behind what they sell. There are at least four other parts stores around here that sell quality parts like Advanced, for a little more $$$ but back up their sales with a no-questions asked warranty - lifetime means lifetime.

I didn't have a chance to go in there today to talk with the manager (I want this noted in their computers before I have another problem), but I will be in there as soon as I can.

I've never had a problem before this with them, and I buy 99% of my parts there, so I hope we can "keep the customer happy".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode