Tuffy Console's Really Work!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:32 PM
TNJeeper

Tuffy Console\'s Really Work!!

If anyone is on the fence about installing a Tuffy Security box in their jeep, I'm here to tell you they work...very well! I've only had my CJ running for a couple of months, just taking short drives and getting some smaller problems ironed out. Decided a couple of weekends ago that I wanted a stereo for the jeep. Nothing extravagant, just something that would play cd's and that I could hear while driving. Ended up buying a $150 Pioneer and a couple of Polk speakers, and installing them in both a Tuffy center console and the Tuffy rear speaker boxes. Well, after about 1 week with the stereo installed, I go out Monday morning to go to work and notice that the passenger door on my CJ is open. I had driven it the night before and know that it wasn't left open, otherwise it would have been flying open around every turn. Luckily I had the Tuffy box locked and nothing left out in the open except a fire extinguisher. Also glad I installed an ignition kill switch in the Tuffy box and a battery cut off switch wired through the jeep, with the key being in the box also. Nothing was taken from the jeep, but the punk who was in my jeep tried to pry the top of the console off, but didn't succeed. It's bent a little, and doesn't shut smoothly, but it did the job well.

Unfortunately, I left my other vehicle (00 Chevy 2500 Silverado) unlocked and they got into the factory console and took some things. Not much, with the most expensive item taken being a 4 cell Mag-Lite. Just the aggravation of knowing someone was in your vehicles that wasn't supposed to be. Oh well, next time they'll meet me with a 12 gauge and a .45. Hope the Mag-Lite was worth it!

Greg J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 01:02 AM
Old Hand

Re: Tuffy Console\'s Really Work!!

Cool,

I have been running my Tuffy Glovebox for about 3 months I think, and just got around to installing my center console yesterday...

While I believe the locks are strong it doesn't take a genius to go under the jeep and unscrew it... or even kick the box and bust the bolts off ..

I plan on instaling a larger bolt in the front and an addition to that another bolt of equal size. So that would put 2 larger bolts in the front as well as the 2 stock ones in the rear. The rears are SO LONG they have to be weak since about 3-4" of them don't touch anything they can be stressed by a kick or side impact I believe.

Another thing I plan on doing is tac welding it to the floor or something similiar...

Paranoid- YES! My car was stolen about 9 months ago and I can't have my jeep stolen too!

I`ll be adding a kill switch inside the box as well..

I believe Tuffy is the only way to go if your going to be using your jeep as Driver as well as wheeling with it.....

Hood Locks are also a good idea in preventing theft...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Addict

Well, its good that those overpriced consols work! Ive made two ammo can consols for a CJ and a YJ. No ones gotten into either one. As for just crawling underneath and unbolting it... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] carriage bolts with the nuts inside the consol. Have fun getting THAT unscrewed. All that security for ~$35...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 11:09 PM
thejunker

I have also heard that if you are in a high crime area, to use a diffeent bolt type for each mounting point. Like 1 Torx, 1 Hex, 1 Flat, 1 Phillips, etc. And use the red loc-rite. Maybe not fool proof, but at least you would have the satisfaction of knowing that you pissed them off.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Weld the bolts. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:21 AM

How did you instal the ignition kill switch in the console? My ignition could be picked with a tooth pick so I have been looking for some additional security. The Jeep does stay in the garage and the car stays outside but I came out from the mall and someone was snooping around the Jeep.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Way Outta Control

HTH
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:43 AM
TNJeeper

I run a MSD ignition box with my 350 and it has a provision for an ignition cut-off feature. You just run two wires from the supplied harness to a toggle switch, which interrupts the circuit, and prevents the ignition from firing. It will crank, but will not spark.

I also wired up a master disconnect switch under the dash for added security. It's the Flaming River model and I wired my ground circuit through it. There is a removable key to turn the switch on, which I also keep in the Tuffy box.

Greg J.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:20 PM
jumpinNrollin

Leve, <font color="red"> THANKS!</font color> that is a <font color="red"> GREAT </font color> diagram for setting up relays. I always get confused after wiring the second one. The markings on each relay are great. THANKS ALOT! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used an ammo can to mount my stereo and cb between the seats in my cj-5. it works like a charm. Since I moved recently (to a lower crime area than where I was when i started the project) I haven't gotten around to putting a lock on the lid, but that won't be a problem.

Also... I really like the idea of using different types of bolts. I hadn't thought of that, but will definitely be doing that. If someone wants to take my stuff (again [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]), then they're going to have to freaking work for it. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode