HELP ME PEOPLE! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HELP ME PEOPLE!

Alright offroading today in the Wrangler... got alittle to deep... well the Air Intake Tube fell off the Air Box at some point in the day so all the muddy water went straight down into the Tube... the Engine died... I got out... Pulled off the Air Intake Tube to the Throttle Body... there is muddy water standing on the Butterfly... take off the throttle body and clean it out really good with Throttle Body Cleaner and leave it in a bag... there is still muddy water inside the intake! What Gives? What should I do... How many bolts hold the intake to the Engine? What do I need to clean? HELP ME PLEASE
95 Wrangler Inline Four! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:22 PM

Re: [bleep]! Muddy Water meets Engine! HELP

the intake and exsaust manifold are both conected together. i think its like 10 bolts i dont remember right off had. its realy easy though just get a new gasket for the exaust manifold and youll be ok there. however your real concern is if youve hydrolocked the motor. even if you dont think that you did if its not runing you need to pull the plugs and crank the engine over so that it purges all the cylnders of ANY water that got in. it shouldnt be to bad.

hope ya get it all fixed up soon
mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Muddy nut,
I feel for your !! Back in July I destroyed an engine by hyrolocking it. I suck my Jeep in a hole that was one used as a Bradley Fighting Position! Luckly I was able to get the Jeep out but the damage was already done. Pull the plugs and turn the engine to get out the water and then change the oil and filter, run it for about 100 miles and then change them again. Hopefully your luck is better than mine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Get the water out of that motor NOW!! Pull the plugs and crank till the water stopes coming out. You may have to shake the jeep side to side to get the water out of the intake. Once the water stop shooting out. Then try to restart. Leaving water in the motor overnight can ruin a motor. I have done this on the side of trails a few times. The YJ's just love to suck up water.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:57 PM

get it out NOW, remove plugs, put some rags over the plug holes, crank it over, squirt some engine oil in plug holes, crnak it over, use a rag to dry as much as you can from teh intake area, or some brake cleaner to try and evaporate it, and maybe even a wet dry vac with a smaller rubber hose ducttapped to the end to really get down in there, you can tell its sucking water by the sound of it.

get as much as you can out , right now, when its not milky in teh cylinders any more, I usually install the sparkplugs, but leave them almost loose, like just barely hand tight, and fire it up.

change the oil , then again in 100 miles or so, and change the plugs, and fix that intake tract so it doesnt take a drink

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 10:26 PM
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I usually install the sparkplugs, but leave them almost loose, like just barely hand tight, and fire it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Matt, you say that like you do this quite often, what's the deal man? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: [bleep]! UPDATE

Ok just towed the Jeep home about an hours ago... Its storming... I am waiting for the engine degreaser to set before I wash all the mud out and turn over the engine and get the mud out. Going to change the oil and such... Will update! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 07:07 AM

Muddy bronco!

I do it on Jetskis allmost daily in the summer
time!

hehe, ive had to do it to one truck, my old green Ford.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: [bleep]! Muddy Water meets Engine! UPDATE

UPDATE... Took out all the plugs lastnight around 3am (turned the engine over about a hundred times... no water. Around 4am finally got the Intake and Throttle Body off the car... Sprayed about four cans of Throttle Body / Intake Cleaner in the Intake and cleaned it out good... looked like it came from the Factory For Once... Let it dry... then the Intake ports on the Engine had alittle Sand Trails on it... so cleaned all that out. I replaced the plugs, oil, and oil filter. I clean the water out of everything and even took every single plug under the hood and put white electric grease on them and reinserted them. Now I bolted everything up and got ready to crank her at about 5am. It just turns over and over and over. Let it sit over night. This morning I took off the intake again and rechecked every single connection. Everything was fine. It wont start again. There is spark coming from the Coil to the Dist I know that but I couldnt get someone to help me out to see if the spark is going to the plug... but I'm about 80% sure it is. What could be the problem? Its not Hydrolocked... its turning over fine? But not firing up? Any help is greating appreciated!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 11:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP ME PEOPLE!

TTT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode