OME for CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

OME for CJ7

I am planning on getting a 2.5" lift kit for my CJ7. I've been researching companies such as Skyjacker, Superlift, and Pro Comp. Which one is an overall better lift? I've also seen conversion kits so I can put YJ OME springs on my CJ. It's very costly though. Are OME springs that superior to the other brands?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OME for CJ7

Hey,
CJ springs are narrower than the YJ springs which OME makes. You will need a spring conversion kit to fit the OME springs on a CJ. 4wd hardware makes a nice conversion kit and sells the appropriate OME springs to go with it for a CJ. Its pretty expensive though, about $1500. for the whole thing by the time your done. From What I have heard and read, OME springs and shocks are far superior to just about any other company out there. I am talking about there leaf springs, coils may be another story. OME is not generally noted as a "lift kit" but as a suspension system.....its all made to work together.Max lift with there kits is 2-1/2". Its got the best ride out there as far as leaf springs are concerned, and realy works well off road with lots of flex. I have been debating this Kit for over a year now and have done LOTS of research on it. The only bad thing anyone has had to say about OME is the HUGE pricetag! My wrangler system will only cost me about$1000. Unfortunatly you will also need that expensive conversion kit. But I am sure its well worth it.
Later......Herbie

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-1999, 09:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Herbie, I was looking into the OME also for my CJ7. In the 4WD catalog it inidicates that there is no welding needed, but if the springs are wider, wouldn't you have to install new spring hangers in the front (not the spring hangers that support the shackles, the back ones)? Those hangers on my CJ are bolted and welded. I guess I would have to cut the old ones off and weld the ones that come with the kit.

BTW, I got a quote from a shop here in NY for the RE 4" lift of /- $1,400 ($800 parts and $600 labor). They tell me the kit is complete. Do you think that price is reasonable?

Thanks

John C.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-1999, 09:53 AM
Dean

I did an OME conversion on my 82 CJ-7 last year and IMO, the OME's are well worth the money spent. On the road, my Jeep handles and rides more like a car than any other SWB Jeep I have ever driven with the exception of the TJ's. I didn't buy one of the conversion kits, I bought the springs and shopped around for the best prices/quality for the other components. I used MORE boomerang shackles front and rear, Trailquest shackle hangers (which is what the hangers in 4WDH's kit are, MORE greasable bolts and bushings, and Currie "universal fit" u-bolt skid plates (don't buy 'em, they're crap IMO) which I'm replacing with a custom set of Trailquest skidplates (I have a D60 rear and D44 front) next week. I used the OME J-1R springs - heavy duty rear springs - on all four corners which gave me 3.25" of lift. Last weekend, I added MORE's shackle reversal kit which has improved my on road ride and handling even more, and next weekend I'll be installing MORE's buggy spring and extended shock hoop kits for more articulation offroad. In my experience, the OME's are the closest things to coils as you can get without ordering a custom set of springs from National.

Dean
http://thesilverbox.com/dean.html

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-1999, 10:03 AM
Dean

The spring hangers are the same width front and rear. All you need to change is the front shackle hangers. Unbolt the old hangers, grind off the rivet on each side of the frame that goes through the frame horn and front cross member, then use the hole left by the rivet as the front bolt hole for either another set of rear CJ shackle hangers or you can buy an aftermarket set. You'll also have to change the front spring plates to wider ones. The easiest thing to do is to buy a set of u-bolt skidplates made for this conversion.

HTH
Dean

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-1999, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm with Dean, if you have an electric grinder and a drill do it your self. I recently put OME's on my '47 CJ2A and it was simple. A lot of work, but still simple. Turner 4x4 in Roswell GA can get the parts for you. Just buy CJ7 rear hangers because they are the same width. I'm not sure how long the CJ rear springs are, you might have to buy new spring hangers and shackle hangers. They bolt to the bottom of your frame and can be welded on later for added strength and reliability. You should be able to do this yourself for around $100.

-Jason

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-1999, 01:31 PM

If you're talking the standard RE 4" kit, forget it and spend the extra money for the Extreme Duty if you must buy RE. And install it yourself, think of what you can do with that extra $600...that's more than enough to buy any tools that you'll need and might not have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode