Another Projection Question. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Another Projection Question.

Well now that the holley projection kit is all installed there is only 1 problem. The problem is it is hard starting and it seems I need to give it gas before it is going. After this it takes a second and then runs perfect. It runs great on all the angles I have tested it on so far and it has more power. I am hoping to get the starting problem fixed though. I haven't adjusted the computer much but the one time I did adjust the choke knob it didn't seem to do anything different.

But after it does get started it runs perfect, any ideas? thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 11:48 AM
Zombie

Re: Another Projection Question.

I don't know if this will help......
But you have to tap the gas pedal before start. It will set the fast idle selinoid.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm really not fluent with the Projection kit but what kind of Fuel Pump? Stock Mechanical or Electric?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 12:57 PM
Zombie

They come with a electric furl pump.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

oh If I give it some gas it starts up fine, I thought that was bad for it and that you should be able to just turn the key.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 03:30 PM
Zombie

I'm running that same system. I had to call holley about the same thing. Just make sure that your return spring is not to heavy. As soon as you turn on your key, the Fast selinoid should click up to the throttle. Then just tap the the gas pedal, that should move the it back far enough that the fast idle will keep it going until it warms.
The fast idle is not strong enough to push the throttle back on its own, and that is normal.

Hope this helps.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 04:11 PM

Tap the throttle to get it running???
Set the fast idle???
This is normal???
More reasons why the HolleyProjection kit should be avoided in my opinion!
My buddy has this kit and he has no hard starting problem but it does stall, flood, hesitate, and probably many other things that I can't remember right now.
Cheap gets you what you pay for!
Sorry for the rant.....I got the flu and I am crabby [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Zombie, when I first installed the kit it was starting fine. I then disconnected the fast idle for a while. I then made a throttle cable bracket and have a pretty good size return spring on there. It just dawned on me that before when it was starting right up had the fast idle plugged in. So I tried plugging it back in but now that the return spring is on it isn't strong enough. Next time I get to work on it I bet with the fast idle plugged in and a lighter return spring it will start fine.

The reason that I disconnected it in the first place is because it kept the idle high for a while. How long does it take yours to return to normal idle (the fast idle basically shutting off).

The directions didn't say much about the adjustment knobs but I am guessing that the choke knob controls how far the fast idle moves.

At this point I am not to worried about it because I haven't tried tunning it up that much. I also have the closed loop kit (o2 sensor) that is not installed. I am wondering if that will change much.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 08:40 AM
Zombie

Not long enough on a cold day and just started it. I think that I have the temp sensor mounted in a wrong spot. Kicks of when the water temp hits about 80-110 degrees. When she's warmed up, I can stab it and let off. I notice that the fast idle stays on for about 1 second. That is normal according to Holley.
I'm have tempted to run a different power lead to it with a toggle, so I have total control over the fast idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode