Is this axle housing junk? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 10:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is this axle housing junk?

We started to rebuild my rear dana 44 axle out of my 73 CJ5 when we ran into a problem. When the housing was turned over to remove the inner pinion bearing race it just fell out [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].

Now what do i do? There is several thousands of slop between the new race and the housing. The guy doing the install for me thought we might be able to knurl the case with a punch but did not figure it would last very long because of the excessive slop.

Are there any fixes for this or do i need to start looking around for a new axle housing? Is there product like jb weld or something of that nature we can use to "glue" the race in place?

Why do things like this always happen to me [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Is this axle housing junk?

not to sound stupid, but this was covered a few weeks ago.. something to that effect and a locker Jb or something was used.

I guess they make a compound for that..

Try a search, don't know if someone else will chime in and take over or not.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 03:18 PM

It's called 'Loctite Stud & Bearing Mount' its the green collored stuff [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 06:41 PM
I Do This For The Glory

If you can't find it under that name, it's called "Retaining Compound".

<font color="red"> Retaining Compound 609 - General Purpose

A low viscosity, fast-curing adhesive used for bonding rigid metal assemblies. Ideal for gap distances up to .005", 609 fixtures in just 10 minutes and provides a shear strength of 3000psi after 24 hours. It easily joins dissimilar metals and withstands temperatures up to 250F.

Applications: Locks keys and splines - eliminates backlash in worn assemblies. Locks bushings and sleeves in housings and on shafts. Augments press fits. </font color>

Then there is the high strength stuff.

<font color="blue">Retaining Compound 660 - Repairs worn parts

A creamy, non-running gel which is applied onto cylindrical parts to fill surface imperfections and repair worn areas. It contains no metal, but once assembled hardens to a strength that often doubles that of a press fit. Use 660 to salvage worn metallic parts or to keep machinery running until new parts arrive. 660 remaining outside the joint does not dry, allowing for easy clean up. Use to 300F.

Applications: Worn shafts and housings, bearing spinouts, keyways, and splines.
</font color>

I have personally used the 609 and can vouch for it, it's also available locally. Check out http://www.loctite.com/catalog/ for more cool stuff.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the help everyone. I will look into some of the locktite substances and go from there. I would have done a search first but was not really sure in how to search for something like this since i did not really know what i was searching for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode