Moving and Need Advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 10:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Moving and Need Advice

Ok, I'm moving from Lawrence, Kansas to Houston, TX. It's about an 800 mile trip. Renting a Uhaul truck with a full trailer for my Jeep is going to run me about $700-$800. I am thinking about just buying the Bulletproof bumper and towing a Uhaul trailer($120) down there. The official word from Jeep is "Not Recommended" in regards to towing any trailer but a low profile one (ie, flatbeds, small boats, etc). The gross trailer load would not exceed 2500 lbs.

Has anyone actually done this? I would much rather do this than rent a truck and trailer. This way at least 400 of it goes into my Jeep and not a worthless rental.

My Jeep:
6 cyl, 4.56 gears, Super 35 rear end w/ ox, stock braking configuration, 3.5" Terraflex lift, 33x12.5" tires, stock dt, tranny and t-case. (new OME shocks and OME steering stabilizer)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Moving and Need Advice

I wouldn't try it - those UHaul trailers have absolutely no road manners, and are pretty heavy to boot. I had one of the 12 footers tossing my F350 dually all over the road like it was a Geo - I'd hate to see how it reacted to a SWB Jeep. Spend a few more bucks and go with safety.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 02:43 PM
Addict

Spending the dough on teh rental will also save you wear and tear on your vehicle. Ive got a friend who rents cars whenever the trip is gonna be over 200 miles one way. I see too many wranglers with HIGH mileage and that puzzles me... why the heck would you drive your YJ so extensively as to put over 120k on a 95? those are the same people who cant understand why their vehicles dont last...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 02:47 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

When I take my CJ to and from school I put it on a trailer and hook it up to my folks conversion van. The trip is 500 miles round trip, so thats a lot of milage that won't be on my odometer. The rear bumper of the van hangs really low though, so we may rent a truck to pull the trailer next time. It works well and its pretty cost effective. It would cost about $90 round trip if I were to drive in gas money alone.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 03:02 PM

<font color="blue"> why the heck would you drive your YJ so extensively as to put over 120k on a 95? </font color> Damn I thought that was what a Jeep was for, to drive and put miles on. I have 138k on the 92 and 140k on the 87, (not a daily driver anymore) Oh yeah!!! also have 55k on the 2000 (daily driver). Well here in Phoenix it's a 100 miles across town!!! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 03:35 PM
Old Hand

I agree with everything Gp"n said. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
My 91 YJ had 105k 2 years ago when I bought it now it's got 189k. That's what I bought it for, to drive, not it's resale value. When I get done with it I'll be lucky if I could give it away. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:20 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Same here, we have 121K on our '97 TJ, and 173K on my '95 Trooper. All that and I don't consider it "high" mileage. A friend has a '99 Dodge 3500 with the diesel and he is at 150K.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 91 YJ with 143K on the frame (just had to put a "new" engine in -- the other one gave out!!)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 07:05 PM

Before you make up your mind, you might want to double check with Uhaul to make sure they'll even let you get a trailer. I tried to rent one with a Jeep one year going back to college and Uhaul wouldn't allow a Jeep to tow a trailer. They said it wasn't safe. I just went back with a friends truck to rent it and didn't have any problems towing, but the Uhaul guy was pretty adimant about it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 08:46 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Do I win? I've got 288k on an '80! Plus a few when the speedo cable was broken a couple times. I put over 200k on there myself. What the *#$%$#* do you mean don't last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode