sway bars, sway bars, pain in the rear sway bars - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

sway bars, sway bars, pain in the rear sway bars

It seems every Jeep that I go out with that has a sway bar in the front has problems. Usually they just unbolt them and I give them some zip ties to pull them out of the way (since apparently they never come prepared with zip ties).

Anyway, some of the garbage hits the tie rod on this bone-stock wrangler that comes out with us. Well, that's not cool because then he can't steer. It isn't nice to lose steering if something breaks several miles from any civilized road (ie: more gravel than mud). I only looked at it briefly and it didn't look like conventional quick disconnects would benefit any. What do you guys do?

I'm not going to tell him to remove the sway bar. I have one on my truck and I won't take it off. I don't want something that's going to dive in the corners and I'm sure he doesn't either.

Thanks
-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 03:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: sway bars, sway bars, pain in the rear sway bars

As I got it from around the net, the rear one is safe to remove. Yes, it does sink a bit when cornering, but you have to drive it in the corner like a true racing car to feel that. Plus, since it's in the rear, it doesn't matter that much. Front one should be left on (as I understood). That is, in the urban areas. When off road, the major oppinion is that you go "as slow as possible & as fast as necessary", so it shouldn't make any problems like floating, sinking, etc. At least not in the dangerous way.

I just removed my rear (1993 YJ) and I noticed a bit of difference in the city (but when pusing it in corner, just to see what it does). Front is still on, and will stay on at least until I get a lif. Then I'll go around testing it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whats a sway-bar? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Oh yea I think I had a Track Bar too? There is a writeup at Rockcrawler.com... I believe that tells you how to make some Cheap Quick Discos... Like using Caliper Bolt and Pins instead of Bolts and just pulling them out when offroad... Its a simple design really... Think about it. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 05:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

There seems to be some confusion here. Maybe not confusiong as I am sure everyone knows what they are talking about, but it seems that there is both talk of the Track bars... And sway bars. The Sway bar is in the front only. (on the YJ, I am not sure on the TJ) But there are track bars on both the front and the rear. The sway bar will prevent the body from rolling when taking corners on the road. The track bars job is to hold the axel, and prevent it from moving out the side of the jeep. And the front track bar helps hold the front steady.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, it seems that the sway bar and the tie rod kiss when you disconnect the sway bar and tie it up using zip ties. This isn't good because it prevents you from steering and might break something. This is on a stock wrangler, even stock size AT tires. With the sway bar it has some serious flexing problems and when you're talking a stock Jeep you don't see much flex anyway. Even with the sway bar disconnected two guys stood on the front and rear bumpers so they could get a third tire to touch the ground.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wrath... Quick Easy Discos hope that helps. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode