Tire opportunity<----can my TJ handle it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Kingsmedic

Tire opportunity<----can my TJ handle it?

I have an opportunity to get a new set of 35" BFG mudders. They were a special order that was returned.Never Mounted! My Jeep is a 2000 TJ with the 2.5 4 banger. D35 rear, 4:88 gears and a 4" Pro Comp Stage II lift. I do wheel my jeep frequently, but it is also my daily driver. I am currently running 31"s right now, and planned to put 33"s when these wore out. This is an opportunity, but maybe too much tire? Anybody have thopughts or experience with similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 10:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Tire opportunity<----can my TJ handle it?

thers no way the rear axle will handle those tires in any kind of off road condition. I believe the front axle would be ok with some moderation. my wife hsa 35" bfg muds on her tj and wheels it pretty hard with no breakage...though she has a 44 in the rear.
I'm not sure how much your kit flexes, but even with 1" coil spacers she hits the fenders pretty good with a RE 4.5" kit.
either way, the d-35 wont survive with 33's either...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 12:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I'm with elusive on this one! That d35 won't last too long. My friend's got quite a bit of money in his d35, and he only runs 33's. Needless to say, his is just about worthless, even after throwing a grand into it. Seems the housing is starting to sag pretty bad, and the hubs won't stay tight no matter what he does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 12:26 AM
Old Hand

I agree the d35 can't handle the 35" Tires.. while I do run a d35 with a detroit and 35" tires I have a nice 14b in my garage going in by summer [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I`ve broken the pinion yoke from axlewrap but other than that I haven't broken any shafts... mostly because I BABY IT as it's my daily driver too..

I do however disagree with the d35 handling 33s.. I have full confidence that a dana35 can handle 33" tires without breakage. I would NOT suggest a locker with 33 or 35" though that just adds stress... I`ve seen my friend with 33s, dana35, and a 6cyl gas it in 2nd, bounce all around in the rocks, and just general wheeling and he hasn't broken the dana 35 yet.. and trust me I thought it was going to have busted MANY TIMES. With that said, I don't suggest buying 33s then a year later buying 35s to have to upgrade the axle.... What you should do is get the 35" tires now for the good deal you talked about, and stick a Ford 8.8 back there and not worry [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Put the Warn Alloys in the front and goto the larger U-Joints and you`ll have a great wheeling machine..

Now just gotta fix your lift :P

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 12:26 AM
Old Hand

Forgot to mention your gonna want to get a CV Driveshaft, and a Heavy Duty Output for your transfercase. JB Conversions or Advanced Adapters makes them...

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 08:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

well... I'm to just say one more ting about that gem of a d-35...
I have gone on 8 trips wheeling this year and I personally saw 9 d-35's grenade, 1 d-44 (rear), 3 d-60's (one was mine).
its to the point now where I actually try not to go wheeling with yj's and tj's with d-35's because I KNOW they will break.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:33 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Keep in mind the 35" BFG's are the same size as some other 33's. They are also not nearly as aggressive as say, some 33" bias TSL's. I know of a guy up here that wheels 33" TSL's on his D35 with no breakage, and he regularly beats on it. On the other hand I grenaded one at 48K with just 31" BFG MT's. Depends on the terrain, your wheeling style, and whether you are lucky on a regular basis.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 02:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

D35's are like M20's in Cj's, sometimes they hold up but a lot of the time they DON'T. It's a big gamble either way, I'd say this, if you baby it and don't hit the gas hard you can make it work. There is a guy in my club that has a D35 with a Lock-right and 35" Thornbirds, 4 banger too [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], and he gives it hell at times. We all worry when he gets on it but so far no problems, but he did just buy a set of Waggy axles to swap in. He got tired on worrying about breaking the rear all the time. You really don't have enough lift to make these fit anyway, so you might want to wait and just get the 33's later. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode