What a day - Radiator troubles rant. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

What a day - Radiator troubles rant.

Holy cow - so I go to change my rad today. I should have known it was going to be bad when it took me an hour just to get the friggin jack to work and the Jeep up on stands.

Drain rad- no problem, go to drain block - it appears the drain plug is 5/16" sqaure drive plug - 3/8" too big, 1/4" too small. Do they make such a beast - I couldn't find one anywhere - I said forget about, I'm just changing the rad - for the little bit of coolant in the block I'm not going to worry about it.

Then all the wonderful bolts of all sizes:

Fan Shroud - 7/16"
Rad - 10mm
Who builds stuff like that?

Finally get the rad changed and notice that the rad didn't come with any plugs to fill the auto tranny holes - just two different types of hose fittings - which does me absolutely no good seeing as I have a manual.

So tomorrow off to hardware/parts store to see if they have plugs and failing that I'm substituting a same size bolt - which what I think the plug will be anyway.

Sorry for the long message, but I had to rant.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 10:18 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: What a day - Radiator troubles rant.

See... A nice ol' CJ would have saved you from all that... Heck, change the radiator in about 15 minutes... and most of that is letting it drain!

Ya just gotta love CJ's! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 06:07 AM

Do the tranny cooler holes need to be filled? I can't think of any harm that will come from ignoring them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim_Lou. I feel like such a moron. That's what happens when you've been sniffing coolant all afternoon - you start to think coolant leaves rad for transmission when really it's the other way around. After I read your message I look and the FSM and realized I was being stupid.

Finished the job yesterday - no problems.

Rob
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 09:30 AM

What size IS that drain plug, and where do you get a tool to fit it? Sounds like the fill plug on the Renault trans in my '88YJ; not 1/4 or 3/8 and too flush with the case to get vise grips on.
As to the metric/US sizes, I discovered this combination on I-75 when the serpentine belt broke. I was proud of myself for having a spare belt in my kit; but I had no metric wrenches in the tool box to loosen the alternator bolts. Substituted channelocks for a wrench and got the job done, but sheesh! I,m still looking for the idler/tensioner the manual says is there.
So rant on. It's the little things that cause the frustration and turn a fifteen minute project into an all nighter.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I actually didn't get the drain plug off. I figured I was just changing the rad, and how much coolant can the block hold. I'm pretty sure it all drained out the rad because the system capicity is 10L and I pulled out about 10L.

I figure there has to be a square drive tool to pull it out. Anyone know of one? You're right about the vice grips too, not enough meat to get a handle on it.

It wasn't the metric size that threw me off, it's the fact that the fan shroud and the radiator use different size bolts.

Rob
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 02:25 PM

Internal plug or external plug?

Most internal plugs are the common 1/2, 3/8, or 1/4" sizes.... Not sure where you can get an internal 5/16" square drive, but you might check plumbing supply shops. Worst comes to worst, you can find the external square pipe plug with the right size head and grind some flats onto the threaded end for a wrench. Maybe you can find a chunk of 5/16" square solid steel stock. Cut off enough so you can use it in a wrench as a drive.

External square head plugs are pretty common for pipe plugs.... and you can use a standard 12-point socket, open-end wrench, or 8-point socket to get them off.

Best regards

John
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 03:03 PM

Don't worry about it Rob. Self-administer a dope-slap to the forehead, and get on with it. I do that several times a day, and it hasn't hurt me yet. yet. yet. yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode