Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Motor Flush (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/142931-motor-flush.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 11-09-2002 06:12 PM

Motor Flush

Just wondering anyone use the Motor Flush stuff from Autocrap stores? I've tried it in the past on my CJ and I didnt really see a difference. Some people say that it will breakup deposits but could harm your engine because they will clog up other things? What is everyone's opinion? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

LEVE 11-09-2002 07:14 PM

Re: Motor Flush

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
it will breakup deposits but could harm your engine because they will clog up other things?

[/ QUOTE ] The question's been debated for years. Just what <font color="blue">deposits </font color> are you wanting to remove?

As an example. If you clean out the combustion chamber then you take the chance of having a piece of carbon lodge in the rings or in up in the valves. Bad things can happen at that time...

IMHO... most of the stuff's a crapp shoot.

in2mud 11-09-2002 08:42 PM

Ditto to what Leve said! But I would leave the shoot off [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And if your talking about the flush you mix with the oil.I wouldn't use it either. I've seen it do more harm then good. Those places that hook up a machine to flush out the motor is even worse!(oil system flush not fuel system) When I was part owner of a shop in Fl. a place in town did those and we got about 6 rebuild jobs because of them. It would break up the deposits but they never got it all out and it plugged up the oil pickup screen and took out the crank and bearings from oil starvation.

If you use a good oil and change it regularly you don't have to worry of deposits! And don't forget to check that PCV at tuneup time [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Just my $.02 worth [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

GeeAea 11-09-2002 09:16 PM

If you want to read some stuff from "oil geeks" go here: These guys are on the conservative ....err make that excessive in the oil and such dept. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] They'll give you more than you ever wanted to know about flushing ...and soooooooo much more.

Otherwise, I agree with the fine gentlemen above ...if this is an older engine that you haven't maintained from new .....I wouldn't bother with the kero in a can stuff from the "mechanic in a can" isle at the local AutoZone.

**DONOTDELETE** 11-10-2002 11:42 AM

I was figureing this would be the response. I just wanted to get some answers! Thanks ya'll [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]