broke my bleed screw - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 01:16 PM
jonestown

broke my bleed screw

I broke off the rear brake bleed screw what are my options on how to remove. I cant find an easy out and Im stuck at the shop. Drill and tap? Wouldnt debris/shavings contaminate the fluid. Also I stripped the front bleeders whats the easiest fix. I know Im having good luck. Nothing alot of BUD'S won't fix. Thx all for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

don\'t know about the rear>>

Don't know what to tell you about the rear....

Can you grab the remnents with a pair of viegrips and get it out? Maybe you can use a punch or chisel and a hammer to undo it?

As for the fronts, just use some vicegrips to lock onto them and take them out, then install new bleeders.

Mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 01:32 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: broke my bleed screw

Year? Model?

Soak the front's in PB blaster for a day or two and then use locking pliers.. it's worth a try!

Well, the hole's already through the bleeder so what do you have to loose if you drill it out?

If the brakes are shoe type I'd remvoe the brake line and the wheel cylinder and work on the assembly in a vice. This gives better control and lets you keep things clean.

Taz'd recommend a left hand drill so if you've got 'em use 'em. Me I'd just start drilling out as much material as possible without hitting the original threads and then start trying to pick out material.

Be careful not to bugger up the OEM threads. Tapping can be a problem if you don't have a blind tap. Humm... perhaps it's time to buy a rebuilt wheel cylinder...

Looks like you've got your work cut out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 01:41 PM
jonestown

Sorry LEVE for the lack of info: 1975 CJ-5. On the front there is very little room to get vise grips into to get a good bite. What do you mean time to buy a rebuilt wheel cylinder?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 02:09 PM
Way Outta Control

Take a look at the picture... This is a wheel cylinder that's on the other side of the brake backing plate. It's removed by taking out the two bolts on either side of the bleeder screw.

NAPA Part #

Left Rear - TSW4617509
Righe Rear - TSW4617510

Cost is about $11 each

Left Front - TSW4636017
Right Front - TSW4636018

Cost is about $14 each.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 02:43 PM

What Leve said. You can fiddle with it for hours, bugger up the threads, get shavings inside, and probably not accomplish anything unless you take it off so that you can work with it on the bench. And then you still need to go to the parts house for a new bleeder, which they might not have.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 06:22 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Perfect time to get some speed-bleeders.

I would also douse the front in PB Blaster, and use VISE-GRIPS (not the Chinese JUNK look-alikes), put them on there as had as you can get them to bite, and they should move. I have had the same problem a number of times.

For the rear I'd soak it in PB once again, and try an easy-out before the drill bit. By the time you get to the drill bit, you're better off just replacing it. Those left-handed bits are the cat's meow, but they can be hard to find, so guard them well. Also don't use them for normal drilling.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 06:39 PM
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Taz'd recommend a left hand drill so if you've got 'em use 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks for the mention, but no I wouldn't.

That other post was a newly inserted bolt and not tight once the head broke off. This time I'd recommend the vice-grips and if that don't work, just replace it, it ain't worth the frustration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode