SR4 replacments ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

SR4 replacments ?

My 81 has the GM151 with the SR4 and I know the trans won't last long. I've done some searching on replacments and it looks like a T4/T5 would be a bolt in conversion. I also know these trans are questionable also. Call me crazy but I plan on keeping the 151 for a few differant reasons one inclueds puting on FI. Ok now for my questions:

1. Is the T4/T5 really a bolt on conversion with my D300 (no adapters) ?

2. Will they hold up to 151's in heavy off road use?

3. Are there any other trans. that will bolt to my bell housing & tcase? (w or w/o minor mods)

4. What would you recommend to swap in?

Keep in mind I'm trying to keep this low budget and would like to stay away from the $$ of adaptors but I know sometimes you don't have a choice. This will also be a stricly off road Jeep and will only run 31x15.50x15's.I may need to run the SR4 to begin with but I just want to start keeping my eyes open for a replacment. So any and all comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance and also for making this such a great place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 10:30 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: SR4 replacments ?

The T-4 or T-5 are prefect fits and hold up better than an SR-4.
I swaped in a World Class T-4 from Advance Adapters. It's supposed to be even stronger and is still a bolt in. It's still not a "heavy duty" or "granny low" tranny. Check out this link. http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/gm151.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 12:47 PM
relsken

In2, How about the 5speed manual that's availabe in the new Liberty. I have the same Jeep! I too want to keep the 151 but am concerned about the sr4. Hey, it's an 81. How much more can you ask for? Also am interested in FI for my Jeep. What have you learned so far. Keep me posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

T4/5 won't bolt to a SR4 bellhousing, but a T176/177 will. Any of those will bolt up to your Dana 300.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 08:14 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Have to differ with you there Brad. The T-176 has a bell housing like a T-150. The T-4/5 is the same as the SR-4.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 08:21 PM

you'll find that the tcase behind the sr4 is a little shorter. keep an eye on your drive shafts
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

I thought the same as Raduckal T-150/176/177 all shared the same bell and SR4 & T-4/5 shared another.

I just wasn't sure on the t-case end and wanted to double check both ends with you more knowledgable guys. I just need to do some more digging on ratios to see which one would be better. So you think the T-4/5 would hold up behind the 151? What does a used one run $ wise?

Relsken That Liberty 5 speed would probally be hard to find and spendy,I would think anyway plus who knows how they will hold up. My luck they'd be worse then the SR4 [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
As far as the FI I have a 83 citation that will most likly be the donor car. But first I need to get the frame done and a body before I worry about that part of the build up [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Ok I'm a little confused now. I did some searching around last night on ratios for the T-4, T-5, T-176 & T-177 and found out some things. The off road tech pages say this about the T-17x's
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The T-176, T-177, and T-178 are medium duty Ford transmissions manufactured by Tremec in Mexico. They have an aluminum case with the casting number 2604203. This transmissions has a 1 1/8" 10 spline input shaft and a 23 spine output shaft. These transmissions are very similar except for gear ratios. <font color="red"> These transmissions use the standard bolt pattern used by Ford transmissions.
</font color> .

[/ QUOTE ]

And for the 151 it says this:
The neat part about the engine is it has the same bell housing bolt pattern as a Chevy small block. <font color="red"> The bell housing makes a great low buck Ford/Jeep to Chevy adapter since it is basically Ford on the transmission side and Chevy on the engine side </font color> .

[/ QUOTE ]

So in reading this it says to me that any of these trans should bolt up to my Bell because they are all Ford. So is that right or are the SR4,T-4/5 not the standard Ford bolt pattern?
I know the SR4 &amp; T-4/5 are all lightduty units so I'm kinda thinking the T-176 would be the better way to go if it bolts up. Anyone know for sure on this?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have to differ with you there Brad. The T-176 has a bell housing like a T-150. The T-4/5 is the same as the SR-4.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely right raduckal, I stand corrected. But, if he can come up with the correct bellhousing, of all the trans used in later CJs the 176 would be the most durable choice. But then again, is durability a real issue behind a 4 cyl. T/4s and T5s are plentiful, heck I'll have a perfectly good one for sale in a couple months, but I'm sure there are plenty of others out there.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 07:00 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I am surprised none of you mentioned running the SM465/NP205 combination (or for that matter the SM465 and any of the mated transfer cases, but the NP205 is the strongest). I swapped it onto my GM151 and it fits like a glove. I did have to have the driveshafts reworked, but it's bulletproof, uses the stock clutch setup, has a 6.55:1 first gear, and is really common so it's REALLY cheap. Your rear driveshaft should be 23" long (mine is 33" long but I have a Scrambler) with this setup, so there is still some length left for lifting.

I have pics if you want to see them.

Also, look to the Marine industry for FI stuff. Also do a search on the WWW, I found a site where a guy claimed to get 300 hp out of his GM151. Don't remember where, but try a search here, I think a link was posted a few years ago. Then again, it may have been the old board, back before the new one started in mid '99. I never cared to get into the hp issue too much as I had always planned to swap it out for a 350 anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode