CJ Dash wood overlay? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

CJ Dash wood overlay?

To make it simple what I want to do is cover up my current dash with something. I can't afford a replacement dash, so I'd like to make the one I have now look as good as possible. The PO cut a hole in it for some aftermarket guages. He mounted the guages on a new peice of metal and screwed that peice over the hole he made. I thought of welding a patch over the hole, but I don't know how good that would look. So my next idea was to get a thin peice of wood and cover the whole dash with it. Stain it and make it look nice. Has anyone seen or heard of this? I thought I saw a picture on here once of a dash like that. My first question is would the new dash indicator lights I'm getting fit into that? I'm rewiring the whole CJ soon and am adding indicator lights (either I don't have any now or they are covered in herculiner). Any tips on this would be great. I'm looking forward to my rewiring project, and I'd like to upgrade the look of my dash while I've got it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 09:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ Dash wood overlay?

I've seen a few like that - most were a thin (" or less) sheet of plywood stained and varnished. Looked pretty good too, and the OEM indicators were used.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 09:45 PM

My first car was a Pinto wagon.... [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Okay, stop laughing. The sides were woodgrain inserts. I replaced the peeling venear with woodgrain contact paper. That is what I would do. Looks like wood.... might be wood. Of course you could always pick up a nice piece of venere from a furniture manufacturer but the price on contact paper is pennys to the dollar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

The problem with contact paper is that its paper. I'm mounting guages and such to this, so it has to be sturdy. I'll be using the metal behind it as a grounding source and to keep things sturdy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 10:37 PM
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The problem with contact paper is that its paper.

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, it's plastic but that's beside the point.

Mine has oak veneer over it, if I'd seen it on ebay earlier it would have been Tasmanian oak. If you use something thick enough to be sturdy, the mounting collars for the switches won't be long enough. The heater controls will be an even bigger problem. Best would be to weld in metal to fill the holes and then cover it with thin veneer.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Taz, do you have any pictures of the veneer? I'd like to get a feel for what it'll look like before I attempt it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 12:28 AM
Official Curmudgeon

NO, sorry, and I don't have a digital camera. It just looks like a nicely finished piece of oak board except the edges were the guy that clear coated it for me didn't get it sealed well enough for a Jeep that gets wet.

Besides, I don't want to show pictures of my dash until I get all the knobs changed over to Tasmanian Devils. The horn and shift knobs have already been changed as well as a couple of the dash knobs.

Maybe I won't be able to show it after I get done because;

I've gone completely out of my mind.. And..

They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa
To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!

I know you laughed, I heard you laugh, you laughed you laughed and laughed and then you left, but now you know I'm utterly mad... And..

They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa,
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa.
To the happy home. With trees and flowers and chirping birds and
Basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Taz, I wouldn't worry about people not listening to you because you've only got three stars. I'd be more worried about people not listening to you because you've gone totally mad.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 07:40 AM
Can't Get Enough

Teak???
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 02:12 PM
Addict

dont know about where your hole is, but what about the stainless steel overlays found in 4wd hardare. $25 aint much, and you dont have to spend time drilling and crap...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode