O/T Ford Explorer brake oddity - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

O/T Ford Explorer brake oddity

I'm doing a brake job on my neighbor's '98 Ford Explorer. It's his wife's, she heard a noise that she thought was the squealer on the front disc brakes. We pulled it apart and the pads were just about half warn, not nearly bad enough to need changing, but we changed the pads as long as we had it apart. He drove it down the street for the road test, same noise. I was standing on the right side of the street and didn't hear it. I moved to the left side of the street and heard what sounded like the normal gravel dust on the pad sound. I pulled it apart and found that the pad was warn into the metal and had gouged the rotor pretty bad. I don't even know if there is enough left to turn, I doubt it. I pulled the other side and it was good, hardly warn at all.

So what would cause the left rear to wear so bad? The parking brake is drum type built into the center of the rotor, so it's not a frozen e-brake cable.

BTW - these are some of the easiest brakes I've ever worked on. The only thing I remember easier was a Triumph TR4. I want a set on my Jeep, anybody seen a conversion article.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 04:15 PM

Re: O/T Ford Explorer brake oddity

Sticky caliper would be my first guess. As for the CJ brake conversion, it's common with Ford parts. Search around the mid-sized forum and ye shall find.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 04:29 PM

I second the sticky caliper suggestion. I had the same thing happen on my CJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Thanks guys. I realized that was probably the problem as I was typing the question and figured I was going to have to send the neighbor back to the parts store. BUT, when he took the rotor in to be turned the guy looked at it and said, "Sticky caliper. The other sides good, ain't it?." So the neighbor came back with a rebuilt caliper in hand. I love it when things go right. That's four of us in agreement, I wasn't sure about maybe an ABS thing.

On top of that, the neighbor had bought the front pads earlier and went back for the rears and was told he needed a caliper, about $115 total, so the guy turned the rotor FREE!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 07:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Taz i have the explorer rear discs on my CJ, but they are bolted to a 9in. Im sure with a few simple mods they could go on a amc 20. You are right though they are a very simple brake system. I also found because the calipers are so small there is no reason to change the master. I also didnt do anything to the pro vavle and i just added a 2psi residual vavle inline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode