cj steering shaft replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

cj steering shaft replacement

hi all
my 74 has sloppy steering, which, i found out today, is caused by 2 extremely worn out u-joints. so, is (new)stock stuff worth putting in? or should i go for something newer and bigger and stronger? also, my steering box. it is worn out, im sure. i dont think they are made with that much slack in them. are they re-buildable? is it worth the effort? and where would i go to get new parts for it anyway? thanks, sparky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 03:17 PM
Old Hand

Re: cj steering shaft replacement

Either the Borgenson or Flaming River steering shaft replacements will make a huge difference. I wouldn't recommend the stock replacement because it doesn't save you that much money and it will wear out faster.
As for rebuilding the your P/S, I couldn't tell you for sure. I found reman'd ones that seem to be a good deal compared to the hassle of rebuilding. If I remember right it is possible but it's difficult. I'll have to defer to someone else on that.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 03:47 PM

In 77K miles I have adjusted the '7s steering box three times. It's not difficult, although it should be removed from the Jeep. The only special tool you need to do it right is beam-type inch-pound torque wrench. In all liklihood, adjusting it is all you need to do.

If you adjust it, put it back on and it still isn't right, you're not out much, and taking it out the second time will be a snap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 04:17 PM

You should go with a Flaming River or Borgeson shaft. They are stronger and have longer lives. They are also collapsible which could save your life in the event of a head on collision. The box is mounted to the frame and the column is pretty much solidly mounted to the box so if the box should move, like if hit head on, it will push the steering column up through the dash and into you. Over all they are just built better then the stock shafts. That is why they are so expensive. Your steering box can be rebuilt but it is not a job you should tackle yourself. If you want to stay with the manual steering I would go to a steering box shop and purchase a rebuilt unit. IMHO I would replace the manual box with a rebuilt power steering box, pump and bracket from a late 70’s CJ. You have to make sure that you have the mounting bosses on your motor for the pump bracket. I know I did not on my 73 258. The power steering box has a different input shaft and sector shaft. I believe the input shaft for the power steering is 13/16 with 36 splines and your manual box is 3/4 with 36 splines. Since you are already buying a new shaft you can ask Borgeson to add the correct size of u-joints, if you got o power steering. If I remember correctly you will need a 737 (3/4 x 36 splines) for the steering column and an 836 (13/16 x 36 splines) for the power steering box. You will also need to make sure that you get the pitman arm that comes with the power steering or buy a drop pitman arm for a power steering box, if you are already using a drop arm. When I converted my 73 to power steering I used a power steering box and pump form a 78 CJ-5. I had noticed that the power steering shaft was too short. I ended up pulling my old shaft and the power steering shaft apart and swapping the joint that connects to the box. I then used my shaft with the power steering joint and it fit great. I then drilled out the power steering arm to accept a ” bolt to make rod ends work. I had already fabed a custom drag link using rod ends threaded directly into cold rolled steel. It is a tad bit overkill but it will never break. I mounted the drag link on the top side of the steering arm and on the bottom side of the pitman arm which put the link almost parallel with the tie rod. This has worked pretty good for me so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode