'75 Cherokee drivetrain into '91 YJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

\'75 Cherokee drivetrain into \'91 YJ?

Just bought a running '75 Cherokee last night for $350 Cnd. Looks like it has a 360 and a 4-speed. I am assuming the tranny is a T-18, the Xfercase a Dana 20 and the axles are both Dana 44s. Please tell me if i am correct. The axles are narrow-track. If all of this is correct I would like to keep my fuel-injected 4.0L and transplant the rest of the Cherokee drivetrain into my '91 YJ. Will the T-18 bolt up to my 4.0L?
(I have done a search but the info deals mostly with matching the T-18 to a 258).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 01:08 PM

Re: \'75 Cherokee drivetrain into \'91 YJ?

the 4 speed SHOULD be a T18, it might NOT be a 6.32:1 first gear though, some of the early 70s Jeep trucks had a 4:1 1st T18 also from what I understand.

also the late 70s cherokees are most commonly wide track in the USA, I assume if you say the axles are narrow that the cherokee does NOT have fender flares, and it isnt a model 17.

the T18 will bolt to a 4.0 L BUT you have to relocate the crank position sensor to the front of the engine, or cut a hole for mounting it in the new bellhousing.

the axles will be 30 spline Dana44s, front should have disk brakes, and the gears Ive seen most in that vintage of FSJ range from 3.08, 3.54.

the 4rth and 5th letters of teh VIN should tell if its a wide track cherokee or narrow, model 17 is wide track, model 16 is narrow track cherokee,15 would be wagoneer, and 18 would be 4 door narrwo track cherokee.
those VIN numbers are fdrom a 1978 factory manual, so it might be different in 75, but the 15-18 should be there in teh VIN somewhere!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ozarkjeep. It definately is a narrow track. All the wide tracks I have seen here in Canada have the flares and RV style rims. This one does not have flares and has hubcaps. How do these axles compare in width to the stock YJ axles? Will they make good donors for my YJ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 01:50 PM

off the top of my head I think they might be an inch wioder than the YJ axles, as close to a perfect swap as there could be.

I think you may have to move the spring centerign pin over on one side about 1/2 inch, other wise its a pretty simple swap.

and 6 lugs is way cooler!

later
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again Ozarkjeep, that's just want I wanted to hear. So all in all a fairly simple upgrade to my stock YJ drivetrain, and for very little cost.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing to keep in mind is that the bell housing will have a 5-6" spacer. But it's ok, it will still probably be shorter then the stock set up so you will gain a little rear driveshaft length. One of the things we have been talking on ifsja.org about is the old 4.02 vs 6.32 first gears. To our knowledge there are no confirmed t18 with 4.02 so it's safe to assume you have a granny first.
It sounds like a good set up, you upgrade axles, tranny, tcase, axles and get better overall gearing. I would keep the 360 but that's just me [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for responding SilverChief. I went and picked the truck up today. Still not sure what gear ratio T-18 is in it. Drove it home about 40 miles on the highway and it really drove nice, even the engine seems good. 1st gear seems very low, but reverse feels even lower, so I might have the 4.02 T-18. Guess I won't know for sure until I pull it out of the truck.

Went out and played with it in the field behind my place just to test it out. Seems to climb very easily. I think there may be a limited slip in the rear axle. That 360 has tons of balls, but I'd like to keep the fuel-injection aspect of the 4.0L.

One more thing. The rear differential seems offset to the passenger side a couple inches. It's not as far over as a Q-trac, but it's not "centered". Is this common, and will it still work with the shorter driveshaft in the YJ?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Geez, it runs well, is it rusted out real bad?
If not, run it as is [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
SOA the front and shackle flip the rear and it will laugh at your YJ (sorry couldn't resist)

79 and older all fsj rear axles are off set to pass side regardless of tcase. It should be ok but if the drive shaft ends up being short it will prsent some "compound angle" problems.

I'm a big fan of the fsj, just about all my posts here are relate to then in some way [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 07:58 AM
Official Historian

silverchief, as long as the pinion shaft and transfer case output are parallel, there is no compound angle. We had quite a discussion on "compound angles" last year. Search for it.

FYI, the quadratrac axle is offset about 3" more than the offset axle for a centered transfer case.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

"FYI, the quadratrac axle is offset about 3" more than the offset axle for a centered transfer case."

Sorry Will but you are wrong. The part numbers are the same for both the QT and Dana 20 tcases. I can list the part numbers later but like I said, ALL FSJ axles prior to 79 are off set to pass side.
So he would have compound angles, no need for me to search for an old post, I get the gist...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode