My Jeep just started vibrating, why? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Jeep just started vibrating, why?

I've had my jeep for over 6 months lifet with a t-case drop kit on it. But the other day It just started to vibrate as I was leaving my drive way. The vibration goes away at speeds over 20MPH but they return when I down shift. The worst part is, I can hear thin metal clink sound when the drivetrain enguages. Im concerned it might be my t-case since it has a small leak. What do you guys think it may be? Can somethig else be craked somewhere? Mind you, I't has been driven for over 70 miles since the symptoms started. Only sympton is still the vibes and the crack/clink sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 12:16 PM

Re: My Jeep just started vibrating, why?

First thing I would look at are drive line U-joints. If ther is play in them they will certainly "clink" when the drivetrain engages and they can also vibrate at certain speeds.
It's simple to check. Just crawl under your Jeep (when it's not running, of course) ands grab your driveshafts and try to move them and see if there is any play at the u-joints. There should be very little or no movement at the u-joints.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 12:50 PM

Ditto what Dan said. Sounds like the u-joint at the transfer case. Don't drive it until you can change it if possible.

Ken Linzmeyer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys! I will check into that today. Unfortunetly I've been driving it this way. Are the U joinst easy to replace? What parts do I need to order? The whole U-joint cross section or what else?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:50 AM

u-joints are a brezze. heres a page on it U-JOINT its for a axleshaft but the procedure is the same for a driveshaft. just take out the bolts holding the straps and remove the shaft, the put the shaft on a table, and pound it out. pretty easy.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 12:13 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What parts do I need to order?

[/ QUOTE ]
You should be able to go to any auto parts store and get the proper U-joints for your particular Jeep. They are pretty cheap and the actual U-joint should be the only part that needs replaced.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 05:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks again guys/or gals I'll make sure that that is what is wrong today, and if so I'll do the repair tomorrow.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Damn!!!!! Their is no play in the reat drive shaft at all. No visible cracks anywhere. I'm concerned that it might be something insid ethe t-case that is causing the vibrations or something in the axle. Anyother ideas? Do you think maybe the u-joint is broken but just not vissible or maybe their would be no play in the drive shaft anyhow?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:58 PM

Try either jacking up the rear or blocking the tires and putting the tranny in neutral. If the driveshaft gets a load on it from, say, the Jeep rolling back a bit when you stop you might not feel any slop in the drivetrain. Maybe could be a tire out of balance, also. It's hard to tell if you lost a wheel weight though.

Ken Linzmeyer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode