Any last minute ideas on trackbar(s)? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 05:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any last minute ideas on trackbar(s)?

After checking every last little bit of undercarriage there is, I came to conclusion that the "thump" sound must be (as suggested from various Forum members [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) the track bar.
So I'm going to buy myself one torx-55 and the wrench 21 (metric) tomorrow & remove the rear one. Then a test ride, and if it's OK, I was thinking of removing the front one too.
I just wanted to ask (once more) someone who's more experienced then I am about how is it going to affect the ride? Also, I'm still not pretty sure that removing the trackbar won't do any damage to the leafs -- or is the longitudinal axle movement so small that it won't hurt a bit.
Thanx again for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 06:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Any last minute ideas on trackbar(s)?

Your plan sounds "mostly" good to me. Get that wrench and take off the rear. It is not needed. They can be pretty hard to get out of there, those bolts take a lot of road crap, and ofter get pretty stuck, use a lot of PB blaster, and you may need to heat the bolt once or twice to get it loosed up. One good trick is to heat the nut so it gets really hot. Then hit it hard with the PB. The nut will cool very fast and as it does it will draw in the PB, and really get it into the theards.

I would NOT take off the front track bar. It is possible but your jeep gets pretty unfriendly on the road. It will wander a lot. And if you spend time on secondary roads that are paved, but not well maintained, then you jeep will be all over the place. The front holds the steering tight, But get rid of the back, and don't think a thing of it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 02:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Any last minute ideas on trackbar(s)?

Damn those things!
I raised the YJ, removed the driver's side rear wheel and unbolted the nut from the trackbar bolt. But it seems that the trackbar is in tension, and the bolt won't come out! I manage to turn it with torx, and I don't have to apply too much force to rotate it, but it doesn't come out. And I can't hit it with anything since it's right behind the shock absorber. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

What should I do, to take it out?
Or better, how should I raise my YJ so that the trackbar is not in tension (I guess it'd come out easier then)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode