Off Roading Forums banner

Put toyota rear in my jeep?

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  SilentBob2 
#1 ·
I'm fairly sure I don't want the front one, but I'm thinking about the rear. It's 58" wide with 6 on 5.5. Shafts are dana 44 size. 4.10 gears. The ring gear is 8.4" (I think) with a drop out design. They seem to hold up good in toyotas with 38s and crazy crawl ratios. I would use a waggy front.

How would one go about hooking up the drive shaft and brakes? Do you think it's worth doing? The axle is in good condition and costs $100.

For you yj and tj guys, 2wd v6 tacoma rears have the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, are 60" wide, and can be found with electric lockers.

#2 ·
I have thought about this before as well, and can't really understand why more people don't do this swap. They do seem to be very strong, and they are the right size, some, in fact most of the rears are already set up for SOA. They are also pretty easy to find, Toy has been making pickups for a long time and the first thing to go on them is always the body (at least up here in the northeast)
Good luck with your swap and let us know how it goes.

#3 ·
I think they are pretty strong rear ends, I welded the 3rd in mine a month or so ago, and Ive been driving it to work every day, its chirping and skidding the tiores like hell, but its holding up!

like you said 4.10 factory ratios and cheap and available, and I thik everybit as strong as a Dana 44 with the advantage to a removable 3rd!

I say get on with teh toyota rear end swap!

#5 ·
A buddy of mine put both front and rear in his '56 CJ5, I know he's running 37's on them. If I remember right it went pretty smooth. If you want I can try and get ahold of him and find out some more info for you. Like 85Jeepny said try and find one with a lock in it. I think his came from a 4-runner and has either a locker or limited slip. Send me an email or pm if you need more.

G
#6 ·
I forgot to answer

You will have to get a custom driveshaft made, or have yours modded due to the way the yota's are. The axles are pretty strong, the brakes are going to be the same way. You will just have re-do/plumb your existing connection to the Yota's axle. Shouldn't be that hard at all.

Just General FYI:

The cruiser axles are stronger but you will have to change wheel sizes, you can get front & rear lockers. That is my LONG TERM plan....SOA on Cruiser axles

#7 ·
Hey 85Jeepny make sure if you going to use one out of a Land Cruiser, it might need to be a late model depending on your T-case. The older FJ40 Land Cruisers has the ring and pinion offset to the right(passenger side) on the front and the rear so watch out for that. Isn't that the side the D18 T-case offsets to???? If so that would work!!!! The toyota front axles use a Berfield joint in the steering knuckle and Im here to say they suck. If you have a front locker you better have a couple xtra berfields with you!!!! Most toyota owners use a ARB or the factory electric lockers on the front so they can switch them off when turning big tires, thats when the berfields tend to give out!!!

#8 ·
A guy in our Jeep club is running Toy axles with 36's and a built 289 out of his Drag Mustang. So far no problems with breakage and he beats on it a lot. I'd have no problems swapping one in.

A friend also has Toy axles, with 36's and 205:1 crawl, and he has never broken an axle either, despite some serious wheeling.

G
#9 ·
I actually plan to use from like a 93 to 97 FJ-80 with the factory lockers.....the axles on the FJ80's are by far the strongest and everyone I've talked to hasn't had any problems with the birfields on the 80's axles.

#10 ·
That would be a better choice!! I have two berfields sitting in my garage if you guys want to see what they look like when they come apart! We broke them on one of our trips to Disney last year. Actually we broke one there and one a couple weeks later out in the back forty going down a rocky creek bed. His cruiser is running a TBI 350 with a SM420 and 4:10 with 35x15.50 Swampers. I think the wide tires were the culprate myself. He never broke one untio he went with the wider tire. He's running 33x12.5 on his 93 Cruiser and is locked front and rear and hasn't had any problems.

#11 ·
The birfield problem is solved with longfields. They cost $250 plus cores and shipping for the pair and they make the joint stronger than the shafts. Go to any toyota board and you'll find lots of info on them. Or http://www.toyotasuperaxles.com I just don't want to buy the toy front and then put $300 into it to make it as strong as a dana 44. The rear is allready strong and alloy shafts are cheap for it too. I heard that spicer makes a crossover u-joint for this swap.

#12 ·
Those axles are pretty stout.

One of the only good things about Birfs is that when they frag, they usually don't take the axle shafts with them, unlike when our U-joints frag. You swap out the birfs and are good to go rather than having to carry both inners and outers as well as the joint.

They are even better with those lockers in them.

Best regards

John

#13 ·
There was a post on POR about this a few months ago as well. If you can wade through some of the replies I think there may have been some good info.

-web

#14 ·
I have heard of those and there is another one but can't think of the name. I ran into a guy that had a FJ40 who ran those and said the same about those. He was running 38 inch tires and said he even done the conversion to open knuckle u-joint set up and after that broke he swapped in a Dana 60... Im not trying to argue the point here... I know a few people with FJ40's and even had one myself and that is one of the biggest complaints you will here about the Toyota Land Cruiser, if not the only complaint. Wish I would have kept mine>>>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.