Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   YJ - Lost lug nut key - question. (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/142738-yj-lost-lug-nut-key-question.html)

Iron_Weasel 11-07-2002 10:24 PM

YJ - Lost lug nut key - question.

Yeah, so when I took my YJ down to have the parking brake recall, the monkeys down at the dealership yanked the wheels off to inspect the brakes.

Now, a week later I need to get the wheels off so I can rotate the tires and my lug nut key is nowhere to be found.
Called the dealership and they deny even having the wheels off.

I know the lug nuts themselves came from Napa, and my question to anyone is:
Will Napa sell me just the key without having to buy a matching set of lug nuts to get the correct key?
I'll even take them out and show them the nuts on my wheels so they know I'm not amassing a key collection to steal wheels with. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Yeah, I know I can use the "hammer a socket onto the lug nut and use an impact wrench to get it off" route, but I'd prefer to keep the locks if I could

ExtinctJeep 11-07-2002 11:50 PM

Re: YJ - Lost lug nut key - question.

Can't hurt to try!

Fritz

**DONOTDELETE** 11-08-2002 06:30 AM

I just removed 3 and yes thats 3 locking lug nuts off a parts jeep spare on the back. I used a 21 or 22mm socket. I just lightly tapped it on and gave it a try. All 3 came right off!

HogeyWrangler 11-08-2002 04:30 PM

I took a small grinder and ground a flat spot on each side and used a big adjustable wrench to get mine off.

Pog 11-08-2002 06:21 PM

I have done the same as jersey wheeler. It has worked for me both times I have done it. By using a socket and lightly tapping it on you won't do any damage to the lock, but you said you want to keep them so that means you'll need a replacment key anyways.

Iron_Weasel 11-08-2002 06:33 PM

Well, if at all possible I'd like to re-use the locks.
I'm not totally against the whole socket + impact wrench idea though.

The thing is, I'm on a very limited budget here..getting laid off from work kinda puts a damper on my buying activities. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I was just curious if anyone had even bought just the key from Napa (or other chain store) instead of having to pay $25 to get a whole new set of nuts/key.

If they won't sell me just a key, I'll buy some regular lug nuts and then yank the locks off anyway and be done with it. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 11-08-2002 06:34 PM

I had the same problem - I took one off with the socket method, and took it to the local "every kind of rim and hubcap you can imagine" shop and they went through the dozens of keys they had and found me two that fit. Cost $5 a piece. I welded one to a cheapo Harbor Freight impact socket and painted it flourescent orange, so there's no "accidentally" leaving it on the gun at the tire places. The other lives in my toolbox for "at home" repairs.

Iron_Weasel 11-08-2002 06:43 PM

That's definitely an option as well, and one I didn't think of.

I'll try Napa first and see if they're willing to work with me..otherwise it's down to the local wheel/hubcap salvage place.