Cheap, Good Transfer case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cheap, Good Transfer case

I have an 88 YJ, 4.2L, 5-speed with the peugot transmission and the A/X15 transfer case. Recently I managed to crack the FRONT of the transfer case (from top to bottom, next to the front driveshaft, hole big enough for my cig. pack to go into... don't ask how...) Now, I need a new transfer case in order to get my baby back running. Local (sketchy) auto yards have a limited selection of transmitions (try 2) and I am looking to replace it with something good, but cheap. Any ideas on where to look?? anybody want to get rid of a tranny for a reasonable price???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Cheap, Good Transfer case

I'm a little confused. First off, an AX/15 is a 5spd tranny found in 1990(I think that's the right year) and newer YJ's and TJ's. I believe the transfer case you have in yours should be the NP231. The second part I'm confused on is do you need a new t-case, or a tranny? You said your t-case is cracked, but at the end of your post state that you need a tranny. What is it?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry, my brain was going faster than my fingers....
I need a np231 transfer case. would like to replace the peguot w/ a A/X 15. So in answer to your questions, I NEED a transfer case (NP 231). I would LIKE to find a transfer case and transmision that will work together (A/X 15 & NP 231 or BETTER).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 10:28 PM
Old Hand

I have an np231 with Currie SYE, and a CV Shaft that I use right now with 35's and spring over.

Runs great and maybe leaks a drop every week if that..

Selling it and getting an Atlas 2 make me an offer... (If you even want to get it shipped)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode