O/T - Oppinions needed for research paper (survey) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

O/T - Oppinions needed for research paper (survey)

I'm writing a paper for my english class on assault weapons. Its a research paper and I would like to get some outside oppinions. I would be greatly appreciative if you would answer my questions. If you do decide to participate please give me your full name (or alias if you don't want to give me your name) so that I may properly include you in my works cited page. Thanks in advance.

1.Do you feel that gun laws are too lenient right now?
A)If so why
2.Would you rather see stricter or leaner gun laws?
3.Do you feel that assault weapons such as the one used in recent sniper shootings should be legal to general citizens?
4.Do you feel if the sniper had not been able to access such a weapon the killings would have taken place with another weapon?
5.Is society being pushed towards violence because of lean gun laws?
6.Would stricter gun laws reduce violent crimes?
7.Would limiting the access of semi-automatic weapons (including pistols, rifles, and shotguns) create a safer society?
8.Would you feel more or less comfortable if more citizens could carry concealed weapons with proper permits, and why?
9.If more people could carry concealed weapons, do you feel that criminals would be less likely to commit armed crimes like robbery in fear that the person they are robbing may have a weapon?
10.And finally, if gun laws were stricter do you feel there would be less weapons on the streets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T - Oppinions needed for research paper (survey)

1.Do you feel that gun laws are too lenient right now?NO
A)If so why

2.Would you rather see stricter or leaner gun laws?Inforce the laws we have now and I could give a credible answer on this question

3.Do you feel that assault weapons such as the one used in recent sniper shootings
should be legal to general citizens?This is a trick question, the so called "Sniper" did not use an "Assault Weapon" This term is reserved for fully automatic, or select fire weapons (I like those too!). The semi-automatic firearm that he used is no different than a Remington 742 (except the Remington is MUCH more powerfull!). Short answer...YES.

4.Do you feel if the sniper had not been able to access such a weapon the killings
would have taken place with another weapon? YES. Tecnically, he did not have LEGAL access to this weapon as he was under a court order NOT to posess ANY firearm.

5.Is society being pushed towards violence because of lean gun laws?NO. Violence is on the decline, the media is just publicizing it much more than in the past

6.Would stricter gun laws reduce violent crimes? NO

7.Would limiting the access of semi-automatic weapons (including pistols, rifles, and
shotguns) create a safer society?NO

8.Would you feel more or less comfortable if more citizens could carry concealed
weapons with proper permits, and why?YES/more comfortable because I (and others) would have more control over our own destiny. A quick response time for a police officer to help is 15 minutes, if I pull my .45 out I have help in the matter of 1.7 seconds.

9.If more people could carry concealed weapons, do you feel that criminals would be
less likely to commit armed crimes like robbery in fear that the person they are robbing
may have a weapon?YES, criminals fear death more than being caught (they aren't completely stupid!)

10.And finally, if gun laws were stricter do you feel there would be less weapons on the
streets? If by "Streets" you mean in the hands of criminals, then NO! Criminals don't follow the laws anyways, why would breaking one more make a difference to them?

Thanks for the interesting survey! Mike Hinrichs, Waukesha, WI.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:49 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

1.Do you feel that gun laws are too lenient right now?Nope
A)If so why

2.Would you rather see stricter or more lenient gun laws? Better designed and enacted laws, not stricter or more lenient.

3.Do you feel that assault weapons such as the one used in recent sniper shootings
should be legal to general citizens? Why not, I have a much more lethal weapon in my garage that has a license plate on it.

4.Do you feel if the sniper had not been able to access such a weapon the killings
would have taken place with another weapon? He would have found a way. If a person wants to commit violence, they will find a way.

5.Is society being pushed towards violence because of lenient gun laws? Nope. Violence is mans natural state, so no laws, whether strict or not will prevent it. Like I said before, if a person wants to commit an act of violence, they will find a way.

6.Would stricter gun laws reduce violent crimes? Nope. See above answers.

7.Would limiting the access of semi-automatic weapons (including pistols, rifles, and
shotguns) create a safer society? Nope. Requiring better education and training before you can have one though would create a safer society.

8.Would you feel more or less comfortable if more citizens could carry concealed
weapons with proper permits, and why? Less comfortable is there wasn't proper training before the issuance of the permits. If this is satisfactorily met, then sure. I feel safe with police and security people wearing guns in the open where I can see them, why not where I can't?

9.If more people could carry concealed weapons, do you feel that criminals would be
less likely to commit armed crimes like robbery in fear that the person they are robbing
may have a weapon? No. A person who resorts to these kinds of acts in not thinking rationally (hence why I diasapprove of "not guilty by reason of insanity"). They will still behave as always.

10.And finally, if gun laws were stricter do you feel there would be less weapons on the
streets? No. Just as a person will find a way, guns will find their way into the hands of those who should not have them. One possible byproduct of over regulation of weapons might be an influx of truly dangerous, poorly made guns which could cause more accidental injuries. I still feel that the <u>only</u> true solution to gun safty is better education before allowing purchase.

Paul Fritz
Nashville, TN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 12:58 AM
Veteran

Re: O/T - Oppinions needed for research paper (sur

1.Do you feel that gun laws are too lenient right now? NO WAY
A)If so why

2.Would you rather see stricter or leaner gun laws? Leaner, the majority of people who do bad things with guns do not care about the laws, hence why they are called criminals

3.Do you feel that assault weapons such as the one used in recent sniper shootings should be legal to general citizens? As was previously stated i believe the term "assault weapon" has become nothing more than a catch phrase used by the liberal minded ignorant and media to strike fear into the minds of other ignorant people, personally i would much rather have an untrained moron with a POS mac 10 emptying a magazine in my direction than a halfway proficient individual with a high power bolt action hunting rifle, at least with the huck i have a chance of not getting hit despite the volume of fire, but as far as the wepaon that was used in the shootings of late it is no different than any other semi automatic long rifle except that it "looks mean" a good bolt action is much more accurate anyway why do you think most snipers use a remington 700 base as opposed to a semi auto, again liberal minded ignorant people who dont want to see anything judged on apearance judging on appearance

4.Do you feel if the sniper had not been able to access such a weapon the killings would have taken place with another weapon? Of COURSE, gun laws only restrict law abiding people, few criminals purchase their weaponry at wally mart. and also as was previously stated he did not have LEGAL access to that wepaon anyway.

5.Is society being pushed towards violence because of lean gun laws? Society is not being pushed towards violence, the ignorant media glamorizes it as much if not more than TV and film do, and then blame TV and film for the propagation of violence. Localities and states with higher restrictions on firearms have a higher rate of violent crime, hmm, you do the math. SPANK YOUR CHILDREN DONT MAKE EXCUSES FOR THEM.

6.Would stricter gun laws reduce violent crimes? SEE ABOVE ANSWER. If you are a toad and everyone around you is carrying a gun are you going to try to rob them... hmm, dont think so, you might not be very smart, but few people are that dumb.

7.Would limiting the access of semi-automatic weapons (including pistols, rifles, and shotguns) create a safer society? Hell no, then the only people who would have firearms would be people who have them illegally, wouldn't that be fun. "OK, EVERY LAW ABIDING PERSON PLEASE TURN IN YOUR GUNS SO THAT THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO CAN PROTECT THEMSELVES ARE THE TOADS" gee, that would make my job so much fun.

8.Would you feel more or less comfortable if more citizens could carry concealed weapons with proper permits, and why? SEE ALL PREVIOUS ANSWERS, toad A sees two people walking down a dark alley, Charlton Heston and Bill Clinton, and toad A needs to go buy a rock but is short on cash who do you think he is going to ask for the money... hmm, probably Bill, why risk it, but then again, slick willie might want a puff so who really knows.

9.If more people could carry concealed weapons, do you feel that criminals would be less likely to commit armed crimes like robbery in fear that the person they are robbing may have a weapon? See previous answer, Mr Heston or Bill ??

10.And finally, if gun laws were stricter do you feel there would be less weapons on the streets? There would be less weapons in the hands of trained, educated, law abiding people, but that would lead to more guns in the hands of toads, then their parents would have to quit their jobs just to make excuses for them and more of my paycheck would have to go to pay their rent.

The right to bear arms is a part of the heritage of the citizens of this nation, no one has ever tried to invade this nation, they know better, if someone thinks that there is a good possibility that you are carrying a gun they are going to pick an easier target. Criminals are predatory, if you watch some National Geographic you will notice that when a predatory animal attacks a group of animals he goes for the weakest, most helpless of that herd. Do you want to be the carrion and have that buzzard pecking out your eyeballs tomorrow on the side of some field.

Education and proper training is the key to effective gun control, not erradication. One well aimed shot is worth a thousand words, sight alignment, sight picture, breathing control, slow steady squeeze. Most anti gun freaks have never had any firearms training, they are afraid, because they are ignorant.

just my opinion [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-web

almost forgot...

weatherford stokes
Police Officer in VA
Former USMC HOG (sniper)
proud gun toter
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 05:57 AM

1) No
2) Leaner
3) Yes
4) Yes - A hunting rifle would have been even more effective
5) No
6) No
7) No
8) More
9) Yes
10) No

You should get a copy of "More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws." by John R. Lott Jr. He sites many examples of the phenomonon in U.S. communities.

Yesterday on the radio I heard that in Australia they have strictly and severely reduced - practically eliminated, actually - the private ownership of firearms. Violent crimes - many committed with firearms - are up from 40% to over 200%; rapes, murders, assaults, armed robberies are all up catastrophicly. The activists and politicians who pushed the new laws through are baffled! Go figure. Haven't seen that on the evening news or read it in the paper? Go figure that, too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Thanks guys, I know this forum is kinda biased in one direction, but its the direction that I was looking for. Anybody else want to throw in their comments?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 01:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1. No
2.much more lieniant, like the constitution calls for.
3.The fact that the sniper used an assault weapon had nothing what so ever to do with the crimes, he(the sniper)never fired more than one shot at a time. The crime could have been done with almost any rifle.
4. Yes
5. one has nothing to do with the other
6 No just look around the world Australlia for instance they took thier guns away and crime has risen. If you take guns away only criminals will have guns.
7No, the sniper case is proof of that. The sniper only fired one shoot at a time.
8 Much more comfortable crime has always droped any where that concealed carry is permitted.
9.Yes
10. No, because criminals aren't going to turn thier guns in only law abiding citizens would.
My name is Donald Tyler.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 02:41 PM
I Do This For The Glory

1.Do you feel that gun laws are too lenient right now?
A)If so why
NO, they are too strict now, and the ones we have are contradictory and ineffective.

2.Would you rather see stricter or leaner gun laws?
Leaner. I would make it easier (or more streamlined) for law abiding citizens to get guns, especially those will full auto capability. I would make it harder on criminals though, make it so tough the next time they pick one up they're headed away for good.

3.Do you feel that assault weapons such as the one used in recent sniper shootings should be legal to general citizens?
There was an assault rifle used in the recent shootings? I thought it was a Bushmaster. I think most firearms, even those currently restricted (full auto), should be available to everyone, under conditions.

4.Do you feel if the sniper had not been able to access such a weapon the killings would have taken place with another weapon?
Yep, they would have taken place with something else, no doubt about it. Whether it was a car, razor blade, blowgun, or explosives, something would have been used.

5.Is society being pushed towards violence because of lean gun laws?
No, like others mentioned, it's the liberal media hyping it up so their ratings will increase. How many people are killed each year by vehicles? How about by Doctors? Yet you don't hear about them. I think society as a whole is getting less tolerant about violence and more people are carrying concealed weapons. I also think violent crimes are on a decrease, the media is just reaching more people than ever before.

6.Would stricter gun laws reduce violent crimes?
No, criminals don't obey laws, that's why they're "criminals".

7.Would limiting the access of semi-automatic weapons (including pistols, rifles, and shotguns) create a safer society?
Nope, just the opposite. Look to Canada, Australia, and England for your answer. Crimes of all types, especially those involving firearms, are up in each country, because they know the general population is disarmed. Semi-automatic weapons have nothing to do with it, it's just a place for the media and liberals to start the fear factor.

8.Would you feel more or less comfortable if more citizens could carry concealed weapons with proper permits, and why?
MORE comfortable. The laws are such that if you do carry and produce a firearm, you'd better know what you're doing or you're headed straight to jail.

9.If more people could carry concealed weapons, do you feel that criminals would be less likely to commit armed crimes like robbery in fear that the person they are robbing may have a weapon?
Yes. The more people carrying, the less chances a criminal will try something, as the possibility of their losing their life is greatly increased. My wife and I would kill someone trying to break into our house. We'd warn them first, and give them an opportunity, if they persisted we'd assume they are irrational, hence capable of serious bodily harm, and there'd be multiple gunshot wounds on the corpse.

10.And finally, if gun laws were stricter do you feel there would be less weapons on the streets?
No. There would be the same amount, that's why they're "on the streets" to begin with. I am assuming you mean "on the streets" to mean illegally. If you mean in the hands of responsible citizens, then stricter laws would keep the population unarmed, no doubt about it.

I am all for gun control. I think everyone posessing a concealed permit should have to prove competency, have a background check, and be tested on the laws pertaining to such. However, I think anyone wanting to possess a fully automatic firearm should also be able to, with maybe minimal additional laws pertaining to them. Just because a firearm "looks" bad doesn't make it so, that's the media and liberals wanting to play on the "fear factor" of the general public. Most of the auto-loading firearms are significantly more inaccurate than their single shot counterparts, yet they get a bad rap. The morons who did the recent shootings would have done it with anything else, they wanted to kill American's, plain and simple. Where there's a Will, there's a Way.

Mark Courtenay
Maine State Firearms Safety Instructor
Former member of West Point's Army Rifle Team

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 06:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1) Not a chance
A) Simply put, the constitution expressly implies the right to bear arms, not the right to bear arms under certain conditions dictated by Washington bureaucrats.

2) I'd rather see gun laws limited to the original constitution.

3) Absolutely - any assault weapon is no more deadly than a screwdriver, kitchen knife, or any other benign object. You could beat someone to death with the Sunday NY Times if you really wanted to.

4) Without a doubt - see #3

5) Society is becoming more violent because there are so few people taking the initiative to regulate the violence.

6) No, stricter laws would allow crime to flourish, since criminals would be even safer, free to commit their crimes.

7) Not in any way.

8) I think it would be a great improvement in our societal patterns, much as things were really more civilized 100 years ago when everyone was armed. Crime would plummet.

9) Absolutely

10) There's no correlation, other than fewer armed non-criminals.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 12:49 AM

Here's an article from fishing and hunting news:
Food for thought on reality of gun bans

by Joel Shangle, Editor

In 1997, under new Prime Minister Tony Blair, the British government passed one of the most all-encompassing gun bans in the free world. These new gun policies called for the confiscation of all privately owned handguns, including priceless antiques and Olympic pistols, in the interest of public safety.
They didnít work.
In the four-plus years following the ban, itís become painfully apparent that infringing on the British publicís right to own handguns was a disastrous piece of legislation, as the following figures reported by the London Sunday Times indicate:
- According to figures released this October by the British Home Office, handgun crime in England is at its highest since 1993.
- Since the law was passed in 1997, “criminal misuse” of handguns has skyrocketed by 40 percent.
- Englandís murder rate through the first eight months of this year was 20 percent higher than in 1997, the year that the ban was passed.
- Robberies in which criminals use or threaten violence have risen by 35 percent since 2001.
Britainís police forces, now charged with protecting an unarmed populace, have struggled in vain to stem the tide of activity by armed criminals who, surprisingly, donít pay attention to gun bans. According to the Oct. 13 edition of the Sunday Times, Commander Andy Baker - the man in charge of more than 900 detectives investigating all murders in London - blames drugs and the greater availability of underground handguns for the precipitous rise in the cityís violent crime rate.
Need more? Try this: According to a draft study prepared for the UN Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justiceís Vienna Session in 1997, and the 1992–93 UN Demographics Yearbook, five of the six countries with the highest single-year murder rates since 1990 operate under a total gun ban.
What does that all mean? The California Rifle &amp; Pistol Association summed it up best in a recent release: Gun control laws typically increase violent crime. Firearms in the hands of a law-abiding populace deter crimes.
Food for thought.

http://www.fishingandhuntingnews.com/california.asp
It's at the bottom of the page.

Don't froget to make some concessions towards the opposing side it will strengthing your arugment tremendously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode