swapping an axle shaft on the trail?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

swapping an axle shaft on the trail??

How do you get the bearing off on a none full floater? And back on the new shaft with out damaging it? I need to change the bearings on my current shafts and would like to know how to do it with out a press [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: swapping an axle shaft on the trail??

Not sure what rear you have but in my jeep I have a D44 Rear. I carry a spare shaft ready to go with the bearing and seal already there. yank the old one out, put the new one in.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

thats what i have (or will have soon) I was thinking that would be a solution [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Do you put anything over the bearing to protect it and keep it from getting dirty?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:22 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Well, getting the bearing off isn't a problem, it's getting it back on. Just use a clamp style bearing puller with long threaded rod, or chain (mine has long chains with bolts to hold the chain), to remove the bearing. On the D44's with the bearing retainer, you'll have to cut off the retainer first.

Getting them back on is another problem. You don't want to be pounding on the new bearing with a pipe (over the axle, like a reverse slide hammer), you want to seat the bearing with a smooth fluid movement. I have been thinking about this for some time now as it's always a concern of mine when wheeling hard.

The best thing I have come up with is to use a pipe, larger than the axle diameter but the right size to put the bearing on. Then use a hi-lift jack to jack it into place, using the clamp on the top. I have never done this but theoretically it could be done. I have pressed bearings onto countless shafts, and it usually takes about 500 to 750 lbs pressure on the press to get the bearing to move, which the hi-lift could easily do. The trick would be getting it to go on smoothly and not bind or mess up the shaft. I have some spare shafts laying around, I'll have to give it a try and get back to you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 02:51 AM

Hey JEEPN,how about heating up the inner race of the bearing with a propane torch and dropping it on.It doesn't have to be real hot for it to go on.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 06:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey,

I carry front shafts and a rear shat at all times. I use an old rag over the splines and I duct tape over it to hold it on. That way the splines are safe. Same for the bearing. I just use a rag wrapped around and taped.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 08:43 AM
M38

If you can, instead of torching the poor berring, freeze the shaft should slide right on,

As far as on the trail a delicatly placed punch on the inside race and lots of patience will get it on.

the torch might take the temper out of the metal?

clint
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 02:54 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I've never had great luck with heating a bearing to get it to slide on. It always wants to go on 1/2 way and stick. I have heard others have good luck with it though. At work we have a "bearing stretcher", which is just a heated oil bath. It heats up to 400 degrees and enlarges the bearings, but like I mentioned, I have never been able to get it to work perfectly. A guy I work with swears he can do the same thing with a coffee can of oil and a propane torch or Coleman stove.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 08:44 PM

At the last two places I worked,repairing rolls for paper mills and rebuilding stamping presses that is how we put the bearings on and those machines take far more abuse than any Jeep will see.
For an axle sized bearing we would use a propane torch like you would use for plumbing and rotate the bearing three times and that usually would be enough for it to slip on.As long as yuo don't make it turn color it won't change the temper.Also I don't think there are many freezers on the trail that you can stick an axle in [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode