YJ - Engine mount question. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

YJ - Engine mount question.

So I just busted the 2nd new motor mount since I bought my YJ in April.
It had a broken mount when I bought it, and since then I've put 2 more on it. That makes 1 mount every 3 months.
It's the drivers side mount that was broke and keeps breaking, though the passenger side mount shows no signs of damage.

Any ideas on how I keep damaging the drivers side?
Where is a good place to get a mount, as the 2 I've put in were from Autozone and were replaced under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 02:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

check tranny mount>>

Check your tranny mount.

It has a torque arm on it, and it that is broken or missing, there is nothing to stop the driveline twisting, and the engine pulls up ripping the engine mount when you get on the gas hard.

Mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Transmission mounts are OK

The PO had almost $1300 worth of repairs made to it before I bought it. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Some of the work that he had done it were to have the transmission mounts replaced while it was in for clutch and transmission work anyway.
The transmission mounts still look brand new, no cracks, no warpage, etc..

Right off hand, I'm thinking I may not have gotten then mounts on right the previous times as the bolt on the mount and the bolt hole on the frame didn't exactly match up.
Plus, we all know that Autozone doesn't usually carry high quality stuff, so maybe I'll just grab an engine lift, yank both the mounts and then re-do both mounts.

Now..to find someone around here with an engine hoist... [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:24 PM

Re: Transmission mounts are OK

The hoist would be nice.., but not necessary. You can use a floor jack and a chunk of wood to lift the engine by the oil pan. I recently replaced both motor mounts on mine this way and had no problems. I went with the MORE BombProof poly mounts. If you have the cash, they are worth it. I broke one of the stock mounts, but have had no issues with these since I installed them.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: YJ - Engine mount question.

I've had the exact probembuting a polyurethane motor mount. It may be a little more expensive but you will be better off
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 02:11 PM

Re: YJ - Engine mount question.

quit wasting money on those stock little mounts and get some M.O.R.E. bomb proof they dont cost THAT much more but are well worth it and if you look at them they are MUCH more beffy. i had the actual mount on the engin shear the bolts off the engin fell on to the mount and its still in perfect shape. there is no diff in engine vibes for me they say there may be but i didint get any.

well hope ya see the light and get some one of the best investments ive made.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode