31 10.50 15 on stock TJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:29 AM
Converted

31 10.50 15 on stock TJ?

Hi guys, this has probably been covered but I'm not finding anything. I'm told there will be a bit of rub on the trailing arm that will reduce the turning radius. Is anyone running this combination?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 10:45 AM

Re: 31 10.50 15 on stock TJ?

You don't mention what rims you have or plan to use... an important detail for the question(s).

TJ SE has 15x6 rims as std equipment - IMHO not best option for DD style use with 31x10.50 tires. People do it. It is your call.

Those tires...
...on stock TJ, likely will rub fenders when flexing off road.
...with a 2" spacer lift and will not have problem rubbing fenders.
...on OE 7" (8" too I think) rims will rub the lower front control arm when turning to full lock. Adjust the steering stop bolt on the knuckle to eliminate the rub (reduces turning radius slightly). Also will likely rub lightly on front shock tower/spring perch and the rear spring perch when flex off road. No big.
Same tires on aftermarket rims with less backspacing will not rub control arm when turning. Will not rub shock towers or spring perches either. Will also stick out past fender (each - half the increase of tire width plus the difference in backspace). Some states have laws regarding this.

I can't remember for 100% sure but - OE rims have like 5" or 5.5" of backspacing.

The 2" spacers will also cause the axles to be slightly off center (track bar locates left to right and the axle moves according to the radius defined by the track bar as the axle cycles up/down). Tiny bit ...you will just notice more rubbing of shock towers more on one side than the other.

On OE 7" rims, it looks kinda like the attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 938939-tjleftsmall.jpg (58.6 KB, 26 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:12 AM
Converted

Sorry for the double post [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Thanks for the good info trailisman. The rims are factory alloys, I'm not sure of the width or back spacing. Here's a pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 01:19 PM

Trailisman,
Is the TJ on the picture lifted or stock ?

Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 03:53 PM

I know alot of jeepers that run 31 10.5's on stock 7 and 8" wide wheels. I would not do it on a 6" wide one though. I have a 2" lift on mine and currently run 31 10.5's and to me they look alittle small in the wheel wells. I like their look however on stock TJ's. FWIW I have the same wheels as whats in the attached picture above. I think they are called grizzlies.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:44 PM
I Do This For The Glory

You have the 8" rims, and the 31's will fit fine without losing a lot of turning radius. I have been running 31's on those rims for 106,000 miles now on our '97, and have been very happy with their performance. We also have the disconnects, and no problems with rubbing either.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 06:58 AM
Converted

Thanks guys, the 31 Dueler M/T's are on order, they'll be in Thursday. I can hardly wait, I ran some trails yesterday on those Summit road tires and I was sideways more often than not [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 07:26 AM

2" spacers and 31x10.50 tires. otherwise stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode