Auto's sucking water/mud - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Auto\'s sucking water/mud

Hey! I'm another new guy and had a question.

Anybody ever heard of auto trannys sucking tons of water in when it gets a little deep? Just got back from a local mud trip, had to tow an YJ the last couple miles with a junk tranny. After he tore it down there was mud/sand a 1/2" deep in the pan. The local shop said it came in through the vent hole.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:28 AM

Re: Auto\'s sucking water/mud

The best thing to do is put a hose on the vent and run it up to the top of the firewall or inside. Also while your at it make sure your transfer a axle vents are routed up as high as possable.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It does that becasue of thermal expansion and contraction. When the Trannie heats up the air and fluid in it expand. If you all of the sudden dunk it in cold water all that warm stuff is going to get small in a hurry, this acts like a vacume, and air, water, sand or what ever is outside any hole in the trannie is going to get sucked in. It is important that you have vent lines on everything. Trannie, Xcase, diffs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:51 AM
Old Hand

I destroyed my auto 2.5 years ago by getting too deep in the muddy water. It took in a lot of water and mud though the vent hole. I had to tow it from the water hole to the 4x4 shop. The guy that rebuilt it said that he put a vent hose on it. I have never checked to see if he did. But now I stay away from the really deep stuff.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 03:03 PM

He will have a quite a hard time putting a hose on the vent on a Torque flight tranny, the vent is behind the converter, inside the bellhousing.

Ive plugged them, and then redrilled a hole on top of the case like a TH400 before.

best to stay out of the MUD!

later
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any info on where to drill the new hole? Mud is about all we have in WV. Probably the smartest would be to insert a manual!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:59 PM

I've blown up 2 auto trannies in my tj because of mud and water. When it was re-built the 2nd time the original hole was plugged and a new vent line was rigged up. Make sure it's located where it won't shoot trans fluid up the line. I havn't had problems since and i've had water up about the door opening with out any problems.

barrelroll
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:29 PM
Way Outta Control

Vent relocation is simple, but it does take time. Look at this site: Vent Relocation

A relcoation does not have to be done during a rebuild, but it does mean removing the transmission.

1. The transmission vent is located behind the Torque Converter. It's in the pump housing.
2. To do a vent recolcation:
a. Drop the transmission.
b. Removet the Torque converter.
c. Remove the Pump housing.
d. Split the housing and plug the vent hole... I'd prefere welding the hole shut.
e. Reassemble the pump.
f. Move the transmission on it's side.
g. Apply some wheel bearing grease to one side of a good size piece of cardboard
h. Slip the piece of cardboard between the clutch housings and the inside of the tranmission case.
h. Redrill a new vent line at the top of the case. The shavings will stick in the grease.
i. Thread the hole.
j. Install a 90 degree nipple for the vent hose
k. When finished, carefully remove the cardboard.
l. Reinstall the pump.
m. Reinstall the Torque Converter.
n. Reinstall the transmission.

Any shavings missed will fall into the ATF in the pan and be caught by the filter. If you do the job right.... there will be no other shavings.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 04:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info, just what the doctor ordered. The YJ was up to the door handles when it happened, literally.

Any idea where the vent hole is in an AW4 (Cherokee), you have me wondering now. I was in a similar hole just before!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode