What kind of seats do ya'll sit on? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 01:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What kind of seats do ya\'ll sit on?

Just trying to take a poll of what kind of seats fellow jeepers are sitting on? Aftermarket and Junkyarket... Pics Please... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:33 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: What kind of seats do ya\'ll sit on?

1. Junkyard seats.
2. Outta a Fiero..
When I bought my '83 CJ, back in 1995, the front drivers seat frame was broken. I finally went to the "Recycle" yard to look for a pair of used seats. While walking around looking for the seats I came across an '84 Fiero. The yard man said it was about to be crushed. What a waste! I looked at the poor doomed car a little closer. Inside were two great seats! I looked closer and saw little holes in the headrests... and 4 wires going from under the floor-mat to a connector to the back of each seat? What could that be? Stereo speakers were built into the headrests. I had to have them! "How Much?" I asked, an was told $250 for the pair. I told him to crush the car at that price. Tthey asked me how much I would pay for them... $75 for the pair, after all...it's a Jeep. They counter offered for $95. I walked out with two used "new" seats... with two stero speakers built into each seat. I've not had a minute of buyers regret. It took about 2 hours modifying each seat to fit the mount. I've had them for 6 years, and have enjoyed them for 6 years.

I can hear the stereo at 70mph ('bout as fast as I can make the CJ go) on the freeway with the top down. I'm told Volvos also have speakers in some of their seats.

Benefits:

1. They fully recline.
2. Speakers have great sound quality.
3. Seat are more comfortable than stock seats.
4. Very unobtrusive, it is very hard to steal the speakers.
5. Extra Dash area for gauge mounting.
6. Less cost than after-market Seats, sound-bars, speaker
wedges, etc.
7. Rear passengers can hear the speakers.
8. You save total cabin area!
9. You can also put heaters in the seat if want.

Drawbacks:

1. Finding a pair at a reasonable cost.
2. Modification is needed to the seat and CJ floor mount.
3. They sit 2" higher than stock seats (though I like this!)

Last edited by LEVE; 03-24-2009 at 07:45 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:33 AM
utahjeepr

I have the Bestop trail max pro seats in my CJ. The best thing about them is that they were an Easter Jeep Safari raffle prize [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. They are nice seats, and they have held up to the sun and weather quite well, my Cj has no top of any kind and is parked outside 365 days a year. The only downside to them is the recline is not lever action but you must turn a knob. This is not really a concern for me as I never really adjust my seat, but I just don't like that style of mechanism. If you did have to recline or incline the seat you have to turn the knob about a zillon turns lock to lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:44 AM
Pooh-Bah

RCI buckets with covers, these are black, my current ones have a red insert in the middle's (gotta match the cage for extra points at the mall car show [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) Cheap, harness provisions, can hose off, light, padded covers, not the most comfortable for long durations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 938815-seats side.jpg (53.7 KB, 26 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:51 AM
Addict

I took the cheap route! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] RCI racing bucket seats. they dont recline, they dont have speakers in the headrest, nor heaters to warm your buttocks. What theu have are slots for your 5 point harness, rugged build, vinyl cover for some padding(can be modified for more padding with the addition of foam), and a LOW LOW price tag. I got mine from a friend who spent the $$ on Corbeau reclining seats(nice seat, but WAY too much money). The fit nicely and i dont have to worry bout fabric decay and frame rusting so many seats left in the rain (read Florida summers).

I have not so great pics on my website... you can see the seats in the Jeep, but i have no close up shots... for now. Anyway, you can see em in 4wd harware catalog...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mazda RX-7, approx. 1985. Good bolstering, adjustable lumbar, recline, adjustable headrest, only slight mod needed to bolt in, and best of all, mine were FREE! I'll post a pic or 2 later if I remember.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:19 AM
Veteran

2000 Honda Prelude seats with hawaiin printseatcovers. Had to modify the seat bracket to have them fit OK. My husband has corvette seats in his CJ7, were in there when he bought it... the seat brackets are also modified...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have no idea what my seats are. They're black, low-back vinyl seats. They don't recline. In the Florida sun they WILL blister the backs of your legs if you're not careful.

But I love em'. They are super squishy and I was perfectly comfortable driving all the way from Louisiana to central Florida with them.

Oh, but I learned really quickly not to Armor All them. Big mistake!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:05 AM

Mine are just plain 'ole Jeep seats.

:P

John
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chryler LHS, Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode