Vribrations stop after pushing in the clutch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Vribrations stop after pushing in the clutch

My CJ has developed a vribration at all speeds. No new mods. I thought maybe a ujoint but it stops when I push in the clutch. Then I thought maybe the pilot bushing is going bad. I rev the motor and it seems to run smooth. Now I'm not sure what to look for. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 03:31 AM
Journeyman

Re: Vribrations stop after pushing in the clutch

Hey I go the same problem, come guys help us out!
[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A pilot bushing problem would happen if the motor were running but the input shaft to the transmission was not moving, i.e., the transmission were in gear and the clutch disengaged (pushed in). The problem would go away when you disengaged (let out) the clutch and started moving.

Does the vibration correspond to engine speed or vehicle speed? What if you're going 15mph and you disengage the clutch and let the engine idle? What if you're going 60mph and disengage the clutch and let the engine idle? Is the vibration the same speed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:21 AM
Journeyman

My problem is more of a noise which I thought was the throwout bearing. I put a new one in and it seemed to quiet down a little bit but the sound is still there but it does go away when I push the clutch in. The noise does corrspond with the speed of the engine, but I don't hear it when I am underload.
Could it be a bad bearing on the iput shaft?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scrappy, you got it, input shaft bearing on the trans. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:28 PM
TNJeeper

I had the same problem last year, but my jeep is pretty heavily modified. I'm running a chevy 350/nv4500/dana 300 combination. Not long after getting the jeep running after 3 years of work, my CJ would shake when the clutch pedal was let out (even out of gear), and smooth out when I pressed the pedal. Got under the jeep with it running and saw the trannsmission/adapter plate was pulling away from the bellhousing. I could actually see some of the attaching bolts through the gap. The bolts had pulled the threads out of the bellhousing.

Once I removed everything and made the necessary repairs, I looked at the geometry of the transmission and engine. I think that the transmission was installed too far up vertically and was causing a bind between it and the engine. I made some tranny/transfer case drops out of 2" steel. Now everything fits and looks more natural, and the vibrations have stopped, even at highway speeds. So far the bolts haven't backed out either.

Greg J.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Vehicle speed for mine. 15 or 60 its still the same untill I disengage the clutch. I was under my jeep the other day and noticed that I was missing some bolts in the motor mount to the block (driver's side). There was only 1 left and it was about to fall out. I wrenched the bolt back in and that seemed to help a little. Maybe I was just hoping I would get off with a easy fix for a change, but the vibration is still there. I put in a rear CV shaft about a year and a half ago, I sure hope it is not wore out already. I still think it feels like a ujoint going bad. Could it be bad and not vibraite when you take the load off by disengaging the clutch?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 12:33 PM

Rebuild the CV, the ball , needle bearings and pin in the center of the CV have either worn out or popped the collar.

Edit: When you replace the collar, tack weld it on in three spots of equal distance around the collar. And look very closly at the CV components to make sure there is no metal to metal contact. If there is, clearance it with a grinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode