O/T Grad School --- Here I Come!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

O/T Grad School --- Here I Come!!!!!

Well, after watching my wife working on her PhD (which she has a year and a half left on), I decided that it may be time for me to go back.

I overcame the biggest hurtle yet by taking the Graduate Records Examine. On two of the three sections, I made more than I need to get into grad school which has their minimum set at the score being from all three sections. With only two so far scored, I am already well ahead!!!!! My score from section three will be coming soon, and I have a really good feeling about it!!!!

Happiness!!!!

Now....the paperwork!!!!! Yippeeeee

Oh, if you are planning on taking the GRE, I highly recommend their offical practice materials. Very helpful.

[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 11:40 PM
ruinator

Re: Grad School --- Here I Come!!!!!

Congrats!! I thought ignorance was bliss. If not why am I so happy? [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 01:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got years before I hit Grad School... congrats... I'm still trying to get over my hurdle of my first two "POINTLESS" and yes "WORTHLESS" years of College... learned nothing, got no where, and wasted ****loads of money. Goodluck [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Congrads... Grad school is a really great thing, and it will open doors that you didn't even know were there. What are you going to pursue when you get there. I have given thought to going back to school to get my MBA, and who knows, maybe someday, but first I have to pay off some of these loans from uGrad.
Congrads, it is always a great thing seeing people better themselfs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:53 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: O/T Grad School --- Here I Come!!!!!

1. Congratulations.
2. My MBA was one of the finest achivements of my life.
3. You can't ever get enough knowledge.
4. Ignorance IS bliss.
5. Prepare to be unhappy.
6. What you don't know CAN hurt you!
7. Prepare to be safer.
8. Enjoy the time at school, it will go all too fast.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 04:49 PM

Congrads on the GRE, I know it isn't much fun. What will you be studying? I'm about half way through my Ph.D in chemistry, and I must agree with Leve, prepare to be unhappy. The hoops you have to jump through are ridiculous, but in the end, I think it will be worth it. If not for the fact you prove to yourself you can do it, the jobs you can get afterwords sure will do it. Congrads again and good luck!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'm hoping to get into Historic Preservation. I'd like to eventually pursue historic restoration, but my focus will most likly be industrial history.

My undergrad degree was in Applied History, which is Archaeology, Curatorial, and Historic Interpretation with my concentration on the later. Basically I'm trained to learn about the past and develope ways to teach it to the public so that they learn while enjoying themselves.

I have a great job in my field, but I want to go back and learn more. Besides, advanced degrees are always a plus!

As to it being hard. You don't have to tell me twice, I've watched it for the last few years as my wife works through her PhD in Comparative Literature. She has to know English well enough to teach it (which she already does), Spanish, and Portugese well enough to read and compare ideas.

Of course she's a natural at academia. I'm more hands on, hence my desired concentration. I will have to work compared to her because of my ADD which is real, not just some weird "excuse" for a hyper kid. Although I also feel that ADD just isn't an excuse once you know you have it...because you know you have and you can do something about it. When they diagnosed me as a Senior in undergrad, my GPA jumped from a 2.0 to a 3.5!!! Nothing like knowing what need to be done!!

Part of my desire to go back stems from the fact that I was diagnosed so late in my academic career. I feel cheated and sad that what I had always thought was a personal failure was actually something I could deal with. I guess I want to prove something to myself and also just want to learn again. I tasted the joy of learning my senior year, time for more!!!

Fritz
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:13 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I'd love to go to grad school, but the funds and time never seem to exist. Congrats, I hope you do well.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast

Congrats on your desire for grad school. As department head of an OUTSTANDING Engineering Technology program at Western Carolina University, check us out Engineering Technology @ WCU. We offer a Master of Science Technology at Western Carolina University. Not only would have super labs and faculty to take you to the next level, but you would be in one of the best places to wheel your Jeep in all of the Carolina's. Great place to go to and be from, WCU. Where teaching students is a #1 priority.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 12:49 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Congrats! I just read the thread thinking you misspelled "grade" in your subject line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode