WHAT GOES FIRST ON A SR4 TRANNY - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:53 PM
1stjeep

WHAT GOES FIRST ON A SR4 TRANNY

Wha't goes first on a sr4 when you put a v8 on it. I have heard that they are weak so what happens to the tranny. Gears, input shaft,the hole thing thanks for any info. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: WHAT GOES FIRST ON A SR4 TRANNY

Bearings. The weakest spot of the SR4 is the ball bearings, not roller bearings the shafts ride on.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:53 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yep!
That's right Brad.
Bearings go, main shaft then has to much play, pops outta gear and pushes out the end seals.... not a pretty sight!
Do Not rebuild an SR-4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:25 AM

first to go in my SR-4 was the reverse gear...it went from 1 piece to about 6 pieces...

then i rebuilt it and put all new bearings and new reverse gears (both main and idler).

second, went the reverse gear... then i rebuilt it and put in ONLY reverse gears.

third, yep, reverse. it didn't break the gear, just tore a couple of teeth off.

then it became a Machine Diagnostics project while in school.

i did all this with a fairly stock 258, 2.73 gears, and 31" tires. the first time happened on pavement, the other 2 were off-roading.

now it has a T-176.

matt
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The gears in a SR4 to my knowledge wouldn't be any stronger or weaker than any other trans, it sounds like you had a metal problem, gears simply were a bad batch.
But, my question here is, why on earth would anyone even consider an SR4 behind a V8, makes using a T4/5 sound like a sane idea! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 12:57 PM

what i believe happened was the transmission case distorted the first time i blew them up...i was pissed at my girlfriend (who was with me), then a big truck turned the wrong way down a one-way street (i almost hit him head on) and made be back up. i reved it up to about 3000rpm and dumped the clutch in reverse. it roasted the tires (limited slip) for about 5', then sounded like a gunshot under the jeep. the transmission was never the same again.

yeah, the SR-4 is junk...but i blew it up.

matt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 02:39 PM

How do they hold up to 2.5 GM power in off-road use?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They don't hold up at all, the ball bearings were a very bad idea. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:33 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Not at all. I bought the Scrambler off a mechanic, who had just rebuilt the tranny because reverse went. Well, when I bought it, and he was selling it for that main reason, was because there was no 2nd gear in it. It was there occasionally, but normally there was nothing. No problem, I'd wind it up in 1st and jam 3rd. Second gear came back when I was practicing shifting without the clutch, came back in with a bang like the tranny blew out its guts, but was there only on upshifts. Then 3rd left in small pieces, so there is nothing left now. It ground in every gear, 2nd only on upshifts, no 3rd, ground in 4th, and popped out of reverse. I was in a deep mud hole and it kept popping out, so I held it there, and snapped the bottom of the shifter off. Ran the rest of the day with 2 screwdrivers and some vise-grips.

The SR-4 is junk, IMHO, mine has less than 5K miles on it and it's junk. It's a FORD tranny and was rebuilt by a FORD mechanic, who does know what he's doing.

Then again, I have heard some people have good luck with them. I swapped in the SM465 and was done with the SR-4. I have that one and 2 more if you are interested.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 03:08 PM
RatPatrol

When I was a jeep newbie, my SR-4 liked to pop out of 2nd gear, so I thought I rebuild it(before I knew much about swaps). It needed a new 2nd gear and another idler gear I believe. So I got all new bearings, syncros, etc. $280.00 dollars worth of parts. I rebuilt it and put it back in. It lasted about 8,000 miles and the reverse gear chipped a tooth. I pulled it out and put in a ford t-18. I still have it if anyone needs one. Good shifting smooth tranny just wont hold up to abuse/power.

-Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode