Trans Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Trans Problems

I'll start with basic history: 1999 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L, auto trans, 50K miles. Street use only, wife's "car". The vehicle seems to dislike cold ambient temps. That is when it acts up most. From a standing start, the transmission seems to not upshift correctly at light load, level ground, light throttle pressure (normal acceleration). 1-2 shift seems normal, 2-3 just "hangs" at around 3000-3200 rpm, 30-40 seconds with no rpm increase and no upshift to 3, unless you ease up on the throttle. When it finally decides to shift, it allows the rpm's to increase (neutral like?), then firmly shifts to 3, followed immediately by torque converter lock-up. If you are accelerating from a standing start, same throttle pressure, but on a very slight incline, it shifts like you would expect from an auto trans. When moving, if it downshifts, on it's own, as in slower speed, and accelerating, it upshifts normally from 2 to 3. There is no difference whether the vehicle has been driven 30 feet or 30 miles, it acts the same, but worse when the air temps drop. During the summer, it is basically ok, but when temps start getting down below 50 or so, the vehicle starts acting up. The airbag light also comes on and goes off frequently, and all gauges stop functioning when (airbag light is on) it gets colder too. Computer controlled cars are not what I'm used to, but I have a feeling there-in may lie some of the problems. Possibly vacuum signal/ throttle position sensor, etc. I know, I know, long winded for a first post! Any ideas would be appreciated before removing the trans for overhaul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Trans Problems

Silly Question... have you checked your Fluid? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:32 PM
Pog

I thought thats why they called them AUTOS cause the automatically check the level, replace the fluid, replace the filter and oh yea automatically shift as well!!! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, now that you have taken some ribbing, have you taken the jeep to a trans shop and had them run the codes? Your tranny is totally electronic. Some shops will do this for free, others will charge you $25 or so.

This is the best place to start as the codes should give you some insight as to what the problem may be.

Good Luck!
Kriss
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh, about the dash lights, 90 percent of the time you have electrical problems like that it turns out to be a grounding issue. Start by checking all the grounding points at the dash area and the fuse box.

Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode