4 cyl to a 6 cyl/ 8 cyl - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 04:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4 cyl to a 6 cyl/ 8 cyl

I have a 1991 YJ and the engine is hurting bad. Leaks about a quart of oil every 100 to 200 miles.
I was thinking about upgrading to a 6 cyl or the 350 Chevy V8. I heard that if I got the 350 Chevy I would need a new transfer case (something called a Dana?)that cost a lot of money is this true?
also im not sure about the tranny,(i have heard that i need a new one for the 6 cyl and the 8 cyl and also that i don't) I would have to get a Manual tranny, I canít stand automatics is this going to effect the cost by a great deal?

It has not been able to 4 wheel drive. The transfer case can put it in low gear but it still stays in 2 wheel drive, could this be something simple or do I need a new transfer case?

One last thing, Does anyone know a good cheap mechanic in the Colorado area? I live in Denver but any where with in a 4 hour drive is ok.

Thank you Brendan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4 cyl to a 6 cyl/ 8 cyl

1) First of all I'm going to have four cyclinder 2.5L w/ 70k on it for sale pretty soon... just to let you know
2) If you swap to a 6 or 8 your going to need a new tranny your tranny won't handle it. Depending on what angle you want to go after on the swap it shouldnt be way too much money? You can find a used tranny and xfer case for $100+.. I got a used tranny and xfer case for my 302 swap for a hundred bucks. Do a search on this board for more info on swapping in a V8 or Inline 6 or V6

3) Also your Problem with the 4wheel drive is going to be because of the D30 frontaxle... more than 90% of the time its the Vacuum in the front axle... again do a search on some diagrams and try to narrow it down to a few possibilities.

4) Have no clue... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is not a cheap swap. Not only are we talking tranny issues but the stock cooling system isn't going to take the upgrade either. The budget you are working with may help decide what swap you end up selecting.

Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 01:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If he thinks in the park of getting a 4L... its not going to be much at all and not to much work... So it depends on what angle he wants... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

There is nothing easy, or cheap about swapping engines. And it is probably safe to say (since you are looking for a mecanic) that you are not going to be doing the work yourself. That could really add up because there is an extream amount of labor that goes along with this kind of swap.
As far as the 4WD goes, it is probably the D30, look around and collect some info about the cable lock kit. Then you don't have to worry about it any longer.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:57 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Fix the Jeep.
2. Install a rebuilt engine.
3. Sell the Jeep for a profit (hopefully).
4. Buy a Jeep with the drive train mods you want.
5. You'll find it less expensive.
6. You won't be on the "upgrade" treadmill.
7. You'll be having fun with you're new Jeep.
8. Someone else will be having fun with your old Jeep.
9. It's a win-win agreement. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Agree 100% Leve [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Now where's the fun in that? Everyone needs to experience Jeep projects atleast ONCE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode