T18 swap and checking out a used tranny? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

T18 swap and checking out a used tranny?

This post is for my friend who has an 85 (or something like that, wide track) cj7 w/ a 258 and either t4 or t176 (any easy way to tell the differance between the 2?) and he wants to put a t18 in there. He's found one for $400 with an attached dana 20 and skid plate, it also includes and bell housing. How can we check to find out if it's still good? He thinks his stock fly wheel is chipped, any ideas whe he can do about his fly wheel? Will his stock fly wheel work if it's repaired? What else is necessary to do the swap? Will the cneterforce clutch that's in it work?

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 03:33 PM

Re: T18 swap and checking out a used tranny?

The flywheel starter ring is probably what's chipped. It's easy to replace, and not very expensive as I remember. It's been years since I replaced one though. The old one can be removed by driving a very stout cold chisel straight between two teeth, aiming for the center of the wheel. The ring will split and fall right off. After cleaning and deburring if necessary, heat the new one in an oven, and it will slip right into place.

You can evaluate the transmission by looking for rounded-off splines on the brass synchro rings, and for beat-up teeth on the big first gear slider. Also check carefully for end play in the gears on the mainshaft. End play will allow the gear so move out from under the shift sleeve when you back off power. Other than the gears involved with first and reverse, you will probably not see gear wear.

I can't say for sure about the clutch disk working with the transmission, but $400 seems like a steal to me for a good Jeep T18 and D20, so it really doesn't matter. If it won't mate up, get the right clutch. Don't forget to make sure the pilot bushing matches the input shaft.

I don't know what kind of problems the D20 might have, or how to check it out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 04:46 PM

thats good info from Jim Lou on the T18, Id ad that if it shifts into all ranges, and there isnt a bearing noise while turning the input and output shafts, its most likely good and useble.

the front bearing seems to teh most trouble prone thing, if you can even say trouble prone for a T18.

the T176 will have a straight shifter stick, all other factory available trans that year had a curved stick.

$400 is a good deal for a T18 and Dana 20, is it a Jeep or Ford T18?

it only matters because the Jeep will require a special stud int eh bellhousing that parts mike sells, or you could rig something, but its pretty cheap.

and teh Ford T18 will require a approx $30 special pilot bushing.

Ford T18 has a roughly square bolt patter on front of tranny.

Jeep T18 has 2 holes closer to gether on one side ( the top is the same as ford T18, the bottom bolt is closer to the Top on Jeep model)

also make sure it has granny 1st if thats what he is looking for!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:22 PM
pig

I have a 84 CJ7 IM puting a T18 in ,the original tranny is a t176. Novak adapters has some good T18 info. I got a T18 from a 78 F250 2 wheel drive for 200.00 from a local bone yard. The adapter to put my Dana 300 transfer to it is almost 400.00 but it should bolt right to a T176 bell and with very little modification it will bolt to a Chevy truck bell housing ( less than 50.00) Oh yea I have a couple flywheels from a 258 Ill sell one real cheap say 20.00 plus shiping. Ill even put a fresh blanchard grind on it free. (I work in a large machine shop)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your friend will need to allow for the drive lines to be reworked. The D300 should be in the 85 and if you keep the D20 then the yokes are different plus the drive line leghth will change. But, the belhousing will bolt right up.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:45 AM
Veteran

i am getting ready to do the exact same thing. swapping out a t176/d300 for a t18/d20 out of another cj. i got the whole deal for $150, but the tranny needs rebuilt. currently there is something jammed and the shaft won't turn. also how big of a deal is it if the first (big) gear has some small chips out of the corner?

oh yeah, i am planning on buying a rebuild kit from novak for $159.

thanks all
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode