Opion needed on gears - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Opion needed on gears

I'm starting to gather parts for my axle upgrades and I am at the point of buying gears. I know some manufactures are beter than others. What is your take on Genuine Gear vs Precision gear vs Randy's Yukons? I'm looking for a set of 4.56's for my D-44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 02:05 PM
MNT
Addict

Re: Opion needed on gears

I ordered mine from Drivetraindirect.com, I got 4.56's for my Dana 44s and they were fine. A hastle putting them in and settin gthem up, but the gears seem fine. I got original Dana gears, so I am pretty confident in them. I have also heard that getting other gears may be harder to set up, or may be louder than the Dana gears. I have heard both sides on this and don't have any first hand knowledge. Drivetrain Direct had good prices, they were cheaper than Randy's

g'luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have used both Superior and Genuine gears...the good thing about Genuine is the lifetime warranty...which for me was a good thing....I ruined the first set when I installed them wrong...Pinion depth is a lot more important than the instructions say........

DrivetrainDirect is a good source (I used them too). But if you going to do the gears yourself...then go with Genuine...that way you can get a free replacement set after you do the first one wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 04:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Genuine is CRAP! and so are the Yukons. If you got Dana axles then USE DANA GEARS, if you don't use Dana axles then look for some US Gear, Precision, or even Richmond. I'll never put anything else in any of my rigs. When I regear the tons I'm going to get Dana/Spicer front and US Gear for the 14bolt.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

How does there warrentee program work? Do I have to buy them from a dealer or can I buy NIB ones off of e-bay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode