put the top on 4 the 1st time in 4 or 5 yrs just > - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

put the top on 4 the 1st time in 4 or 5 yrs just >

now.... It has been at least 4 years if not 5 since I've had my soft top on, so long ago I can't remember, lol.

I survived thru the last 3 Texas winters(Dallas) without ever having a full top. I just had a bikini top and toneau cover and soft upper doors w/ glass windows(TopSliders?). I just wedged my two original soft upper windows behind the front seats to cut down on a lot of the drafts. I had a carport for the Jeep to live in, and it didn't get too wet to cause that much rust.

Well, I moved down here to New Orleans and it is SO damp here that there is starting to be rust everywhere in the Jeep, and it rains most everyday and water just sits inside the Jeep. Even my tools in the garage are getting a layer of rust on them it is so humid. I figured if I want the Jeep to last it needs some protection(no carport or garage for it here), so decided to dig out the old top. Surprised it still fit, I forgot how fun it was to put on, brought back the memories of doing it alone in the rain....ahhhhh

Well, I do have a queation. The top is ripped along the passenger side on top of the door. Well, not ripped, but the stitching has become ripped out from flapping on the highway and the plastic piece that is stitched inside the fold is loose all the way from the windshield back to the rear window. This means I can't snap down that side along the door. And the first 4 or 5 inches of stiching for the zipper for the top of the rear side window is torn out also.

Anyone have any decent fixes for this?

I don't want to buy a replace-a-top as my bow assembly is very worn, and the sharp cornered doors suck. Also, I don't really want to spend $500+ for a new top with a new bow assembly, so I am willing to just live with the ratty top for a while.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 02:06 PM

Re: put the top on 4 the 1st time in 4 or 5 yrs just >

I know that you can buy a new, decent top, even a sunrider type top through www.quadratec.com for not a lot of money. You won't be getting a bestop but you'll still be getting something much better than what you have now, probably. I think the top sets you back about $250. better than 500!

pablo
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 02:07 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: put the top on 4 the 1st time in 4 or 5 yrs just >

IMHO just take it to a good Marine Boat Top shop and have 'em fix it. It should't cost too much. You may want the top to be water repellant treated at the same time....

Humidity........Wow, am I glad I'm outta the Midwest....back to the dry Inland Pacific Nortwest! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Now I can wear out... not rust out. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the link, but >>>

Thanks, but my bow assembly is pretty ragged and old. I've looked before, and I looked at that site and the $250-275 tops are just replacement cloth that you have to use your original bow assembly with.

I'd rather pony up the extra money to get an entire new top with new bow assembly later on, just don't want to do it right now.

Mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

great suggestion>

Great suggestion, I hadn't though of that, lol. Shouldn't be a shortage of boat places around here.

Another question:

Is there supposed to be some special channel that goes along the top of the tailgate for my rear window to slide into? Mine has never had one, I used to have something made with a one-by piece of wood and some velcro, but I have lost it long ago....

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode