Electric winch - dead engine - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Electric winch - dead engine

I'm sorry. its been a rough day here at work but it doesn't seem clear to me what your asking.

I've had my hood under water many of times and have winched myself out..

***I re-read your post a few times, and I think I finally understand what your saying. Boy, I need help..***

Yes, I have swamped my jeep many times to the point that water was above the motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 02:30 PM
Pooh-Bah

Once a Jeep up to the distributor, and once an Early Bronco that was almost taking water into the carb. One had dual batteries the other single and they both were able to get themselves out, I guess we just wanted to see if it was possible since we had other rigs present with winches that could have pulled them out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 03:25 PM

Electric winch - dead engine

Has anyone on this board actually been present when a Jeep was put into water above the distributor and was self-extracted by an electric winch?

A dead engine from being splashed, and winching out of a puddle doesn't count. I'm looking for a situation where it would not have been possible to revive the engine in place.

The scenario has often been advanced as an argument for an electric winch over an engine-driven one. I would think that it probably happened somewhere, sometime. It seems pretty unlikely as a frequent occurance.

An electric has several advantages, but this doesn't seem like a very significant one to me.

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] <font color="red"> Hey guys, I think this is a GREAT question... so I'm making it sticky for a day or two.. Chime in and teach the Moderator a thing or too!</font color> <font color="black"> Take a look at the Electic or Hydraulic Winch Poll that spurred this question.

LEVE</font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 03:25 PM
Journeyman

I'm sorry to say that I have.Hit the wrong gear
to get out of the boat landing,was washing mud.
Never again.Shifted my CJ 3spd like my Cherokee
5spd.I was backed in,1st on the 5,reverse on the
3.Half the windshield and the tippytops of the
headlights showing.Was in less than 15 min.Good thing that old rotten
post held!I recommend not washing in rivers,it
dirtys it up.Give a hoot,don't pollute.Who Who!

Bergy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:00 PM

Well, so far it seems that PBMCauliffe has rescued himself twice, sort of as an experiment while there were others waiting to rescue him if it failed.

Jersey Wheeler has done it many times. Makes me curious about the kind of off-roading he does.

Bergy has experienced exactly what I was looking for - an accidental drowning where the electric winch saved his bacon.

That three members have used the winch in these circumstances tells me that it is possible, which I never doubted, and that it's a fairly uncommon occurance, which is also what I had expected.

Anybody else? Anybody try to rescue himself but run out of battery?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:25 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Well, no, not in the scenario you describe. That being said, I have used the electric winch to jump start the Jeep when the starter died in a mud hole. Yes, the 15 fpm on the REP 8000 is enough.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 06:47 AM

Now THERE's a new wrinkle. Never heard of that before. Probably wouldn't have even thought of it. You must have had the tires on a pretty good surface or they would have just skidded. What gear did you use?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 07:00 AM

The few times down in Florida that someone was really in deep like that and tried to winch themselves out, they burned out the winch motor or solenoid packs by getting too much water or mud in them. We ended up just yanking them out using those gigantic barge ropes. There were about 4 guys with burned out electric winches on their front bumpers from that.

Usually what happened is that they found a channel in the swamp dredged out by a track-hoe. Most of the water out there was only 1-3' deep with the occasional 10-15' deep channel that had straight cut sides from the dredge.

We eventually figured out that the lilly pads and cat tails stop at deep water. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Best regards

John
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Pooh-Bah

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Well, so far it seems that PBMCauliffe has rescued himself twice, sort of as an experiment while there were others waiting to rescue him if it failed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually it was friends that were stuck, I just came up with the experiment since we didn't want to get wet [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I like the idea of the jump start, next time a rig is dead I'll bring that up [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 02:49 PM
I Do This For The Glory

2nd gear on the jump start, and it was solid footing, but in a mud hole with rocks strewn about. I have also submerged my winch numerous times with no problems, but I do tear it down once a year and clean it. I also don't run it so it's red hot, that'll burn out a winch faster than anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode