Temperature Gauge 4.0L........???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 07:35 AM
85Jeepny

Temperature Gauge 4.0L........????

Got a question.....

I know that the factory wiring/guages on a Jeep with a 4.0L went through the ECM then sent a signal to the guage.....

My question is obviously I have a 4.0L in a CJ using the Hesco harness....there are no provisions for the Oil or Temp....I have a mechanical oil pressure so that is fine but I can't figure out just exactly how to do the Temperature gauge.

I know the harness connects to a sender on the thermostat but I'm not sure how to do an aftermaket one? Can I put it in the manifold or is there something I can use there? Any help would be great....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:19 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Temperature Gauge 4.0L........????

I'm not sure if they are there on a 4.0 or not, but when I put my 4.0 head/MPI on my 258 I put my temp sensor into a hole on the drivers side of the block, down below manifolds. There is a water jacket line that runs there and there were two plugs in the side of the block. I removed one and put the sensor in it for the temp gauge. Just be carefull not to get the senser wire too close to the exhaust. Another option would be to get a tee fitting that goes in your heater hose line (four seasons part number 84540). Since the hot water flows through the heater core all the time on a CJ, this will give you a reading as well. That's actually where I had to put my CTS because my OBA pulley was in the way near my thermostat housing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:35 AM
Can't Get Enough

Ben - Are you trying to hook up your stock gauge or are you adding a aftermarket gauge with actual temps instead of the stock hot and cold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 10:40 AM
Journeyman

When I installed the 1990 4.0l engine in my 1982 CJ-7 I swapped the CJ sender for the 4.0l sender. Both of them were in the left (drivers side) top rear corner of the head. After a few months I installed a Stewart Warner electrical temp gauge in the space normally used for the radio. It and the required sender were purchased from NAPA. The sender fit into the stock location in the head.

GaryM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 01:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

I guess what I was getting at , as gmoabrim stated, the sending unit for the gauge is not in the thermostat housing, it's on the driver's side against the firewall. If your using the stock gauge, use the stock sending unit. If your using a aftermarket sending unit, just replace the stock one with it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 02:35 PM
85Jeepny

I know the 4.0L goes from the thermostat to the ECM then the guage, I'm just not sure where to put the sender? I'm thinkin' about the T fitting but I kinda wanted one in the stock position.....It's on the manifold?

There are a couple questions....I know on the drivers side manifold there is the MAP sensor vacuum, there is the power brakes which i have plugged and another sensor that is plugged in Via the harness....which one would I use?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:34 AM
Journeyman

The 1990 4.0l I used came from a Cherokee, a non-HO setup. I bought the harness and necessary sensors/throttle body from HESCO, basically a MPI kit without the manifold. On my engine, the sensor in the t-stat housing is the CTS (coolant temp sensor) for the injection, it has nothing to do with the temp gauge. I know the later 4.0l (95? and up) use a updated system with the dash/gauges/charging system integrated with the computer, I don't know anything about them. The stock sensor for the stock 80's CJ gauges is in the head, drivers side, top rear as is the one for my 4.0l. It is small and not easily seen. I wanted an actual temp gauge so that's why I went with an aftermarket gauge. If you have a newer 4.0l, they may not have a place in the head for a temp sender, I have never looked at a newer engine. HESCO does have an inline fitting you could put into the heater hose from the t-stat housing if you went that way. I think it's made by Four Seasons and you may be able to find it at an auto parts store. The sensor in the intake manifold is the MAT (Manifold Air Temp, at least on my engine). I'm sorry for rambling, this may not have anything to do with your setup.

GaryM
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 12:40 PM
Can't Get Enough

'96 and newer don't have a place to mount it in the head. That's why I had to put it in the block. My CTS is in the T because, with the OBA it wouldn't clear in the thermostat housing.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 01:01 PM
85Jeepny

I'm searching for 4 Seasons and not having much luck, is Hesco the only contact? Thanks, thats what I'm going to do
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:30 PM
Can't Get Enough

No, I got mine through Car Quest. They didn't have it in stock, but ordered it and had it the next day. It wasn't four seasons it was there own brand. Sory I don't have CQ's part number. They got it out of one of thier catalogs. Any parts house worth there weight in lug nuts should be able to get you one. Just explain to them what you need and hopefully they can get you one. All the part is, is a T with hose barbs on two ends and a 3/8" or 1/4" pipe thread thread in the top. Make sure it is metal though. ABS plastic won't hold up to the temp. Car Quest's largest size was the exact size of the heater hose of the CJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode