Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Axle question (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/1425-axle-question.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 10-08-1999 12:01 PM

Axle question

I bought a replacement 30 front axle for my '77 CJ-7 and it never dawned on me to check this, but it came off of an automatic transmission and I have a manual 3 speed (probably T-150). Are there any size differences or offsets for the automatic? I know I need to switch my Warn locking hubs over. What about the rear 20 axle off of the same automatic transmission? Is the standard gear ratio on a '79 automatic different from a '77 manual, or do I need to go spin the tires and count the rev's on the input shaft?

CJDave 10-08-1999 01:02 PM

Re: Axle question

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You either have to count the turns, look for the axle code, or get some little moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] to squeeze in through the oil filler hole and check the ring and pinion.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have a list of axle codes if you need them, but it is best to verify it by turning to be sure it has not been changed. OR you could do like a lot of Jeepers do, and go around thinking that the driveline will "absorb" (yes, I have SEEN posts that say that) the difference. SHEESH![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

CJDave

BigMan 10-08-1999 01:22 PM

Re: Axle question

If you have to change the hubs then that new axle i a widetrack with the 5 bolt hubs with a vintage of 82 and up where as your axle is a narrow track with the better 6 bolt hubs thats was used prior to 82. The wide tracks are 4" wider overall so i will push out the tires 2" on each side. Gears must be checked, you should pll the cover anyways to inspect and change flid so count the gears while your in there. divide the ring gear by the pinion gear to get ratio. You can run your old narrow and the new wide track together but it wil look likeone of those chevy's. Ideally you should replace the rear with a similar widetrack, they are much more stable.

Al
My web page