ready to start rebuilt 258 ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 08:50 PM
gman

ready to start rebuilt 258 ???

Finaly ready to start my motor, have the last minute ques. installed painless perf full harness,borla header,comp.cam,weber,did the tr upgrade,flex fan,hayes clutch. the ques? I adjusted the clutch so the release arm has about 1/4 play, this translates to about 2" play at the clutch pedal, feels terible to the foot, am I doing this wrong? I filled the radiator with 50/50 mix but am now thinking there is nothing in the block is this ok ?? please help, Getting anxious to start it but would like to no I'm not screwing up at the last minute thxs gman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 09:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ready to start rebuilt 258 ???

I've always adjust my clutch so that it felt good on my foot. Seriously snug it up a bit till it feels right, just don't over snug it. You should have some play, but it will be minor. I wouldn't worry about your coolant, just start it with the radiator cap off, and continue filling it as needed. This will help bleed any air out of your cooling system also. Don't forget to prime the oil pump. Good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 09:42 PM
gman

yeah, I guess I'm just getting nervous, already primed the motor, and just finished making the wires for the tr upgrade, I used taylor universals and cut them to fit. I heard someone talking about burping the system, and that got me thinking about the coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:28 AM
Can't Get Enough

Make sure you follow the directions for breaking in the cam. They say to run the engine at about 1500-2k for the first 30 minutes, changing the RPM periodically to direct oil splash to differnt areas on the cam. After 30 min, change the oil.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:41 AM

how much coolant did your engine take to fill?

it should take about 2.5 gallons. if you want to try to burp it, try disconnecting one of the heater hoses, or, if the hoses go thru the intake manifold, try to figure out which fitting on the intake manifold is for the CTS (coolant temp controlled vacuum switch) and slowly remove it to see if there is coolant in there.

matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode