Need to shorten a frame - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need to shorten a frame

I have a 85 wagoneer that I'm going to use a donor vehicle for my 57 willys wagon. I would like to put the willy body on the wagoneer frame but I will need to shorten the wagoneer frame by like a foot or so. To keep the stock spring, shock and axle location of the wagoneer how do I cut the frame? Should I cut it in front of the axle, if so how do I rebuild that part of the frame. Someone told me not to cut the frame infront of the rear axle because it will not be strong enough after. My thought it ok, so how do the drag racers install the rear clips for the big tires and shorten axles.. HUM..

If anyone has any clues please let me know.. Thanks Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 07:47 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Need to shorten a frame

I don't know what the Wagoneer frame is like, but heres how to shorten/lengthen a boxed frame.

Cut your chunk out so that the ends are at the same angle. Make sure you don't cut it square, put some angle in it to increase the edge length.

Find a peice of box channel that will fit into the inside of the frame rails. Drill holes through the frame where the sleeve will be so that you can put in rosset welds.

Slid the sleeve in, slide the frame on, weld the rossets and the frame meetings points.

Baste for an hour, cool and serve. Satisfies several!

Fritz
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 08:17 PM

Re: Need to shorten a frame

i would measure the wheelbase of the willys do it from axle center of the front to the axle center of the rear then do the same to the waggy find out how much to remove and take it from the middle where the frame is the flattest and the straightest and do the cuts at an angle like was mentioned and weld the same as the other post [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode