Manual Tranny to a 302? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Manual Tranny to a 302?

After much thought I have decided to go Manual instead of Automatic for my 5.0 swap? What tranny should I get? Thanks... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 02:57 PM

Re: Manual Tranny to a 302?

T18 or np435, whichever you can find cheaper.

ten its adapter ville, and $450 for teh adapter to your Tcase,
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 03:47 PM
juniorjs

either of the above trannies are good for off-road vehicle, but for street driving they are kind of driving a dumnp truck, you have to get use to them. i dont know if the np435 is any better but I have the T-18 and on the street is not a joy ride. Which one you choose depends on what you can find and the price, both will need an adapter for you t-case. Now if you can affort it, go with the NV4500, which is a stronger tranny and it shifts better on the street, also has a 5th gear, but a higher 1st in comparison of the T-18 or NP435.
junior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 07:04 PM

Did early broncos ever come with 435's? If they did you could keep your drivers side drop and run a 435 attached to a bronco d20 (they have a 2.5:1 low i believe). Did ford t18's ever com attached to a t-case. If they did they might have come attached to 208's which i believe have the same bolt pattern as a 231 but are 23 spline (came in 4.0 yj's, xj's and tj's) instead of your 21 spline case. I'm not 100% sure on these ideas, some one clear it up for me please.

BarrelRoll
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 02:24 AM

the adapter for a t-18 to dana 300 is (AA brand) 20% off at no excuses. That is the place I ordered mine at.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 05:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you are thinking you are going to use your Jeep for a lot of offroad driving along with a lot of street driving, then you could consider using an NV3500. I believe that it will bolt to a 302, I think that you need to drill the Bellhouseing in one or two spots, but that all and all it would work quite well, And the NV3500 is a really nice trans. (Someone correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the TV show "TRUCKS" do this very swap into an old bronk not too long ago "Project crazy hourse") I can't remember what Tcase they used. But you can order the program on VHS at www.truckstv.com Could be a good resourse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode