best year wagooneer axles to swap into CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
pig

best year wagooneer axles to swap into CJ7

I found Jeepgods axle info just no9t real sure what year is best to use I found a 1970 wagoneer and a 1978 wagee the 70 would probablly be cheaper but money isn't everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 12:00 AM
Official Historian

Re: best year wagooneer axles to swap into CJ7

I've done both swaps. The 70 was easier and cheaper. I was able to reuse the brakes since the axle hadn't been parked long. (My brother swapped it out of his.) It's also already 5 lug and should be 30 spline.

The later 70's that I built to replace the 70 (I suspect the shop that swapped the gears didn't fill it) was a 6 lug. I sent the shafts to moser engineering and had them redrilled to 5 lug. If you do this, make sure you tell them you want pressed in shouldered studs, not screw in studs. I then used 99 dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 rear drums as they are a perfect fit and 5 lug. (I spent several hours at the parts store looking through the book for dimensions and comparing likely candidates with the original 6 lug drum until I finally found a match.) The replacement waggoneer drums are $70 or so and another $30 each for moser to redrill them. The dodge drums were $45 each. Other than that, the tubes are the same size and the shock mounts are the same. The shock mounts have to be cut off and new spring pads welded on. The old spring pads are far enough out not to have to remove them for spring under or spring over.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 08:27 AM
Can't Get Enough

The '78 front will have a flat top knuckle and the steering linkage will be on top making it a better canadate than the '70. You will have to change the spindles on the '78 however to make the ford hub & rotor conversion fit for 5 on 5.5 wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 05:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

that 1970 will be drum front brakes.. and closed knuckle.. the inner shafts are 30 spline.. but the outer shafts are 10 spline.. with those cj style crappy hubs.. plus the shafts them selves are d30 size.. thin tubes.. but.. the rear axle will most likely be a center diff..
while the 1978 is a stronger axle.. it is 6 lug.. and more than likely the rear diff is offset to the passenger side.. since most were quadratracs.. and NOT all 78's are flat top knucles.. MY 78 was not.. so i would assume i have a late model production.. where as something earlier in the year.. might have them.. so look..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 04:13 PM
Official Historian

Let me clarify. Use the 78 front and the 70 rear.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 10:48 PM

This may be a stupid question, but what exactly is a 'closed' or 'flat top' knuckle?? What is the difference between that and a 'open' or 'non-flat top' knuckle?? And what makes them better?

Thanks..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 11:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well.. a closed knuckle is just that.. you cant see the axle u joint.. and its not so much that design thats bad.. but .. its the fact that they are old.. most old axles had a low spline count.. smaller shafts.. drum brakes.. all bad.. then you have the newer open knuckle desin.. where you can see the axle u joint.. these came with ball joints.. which are far superior to what ever you call them little bushing things on the closed knuckle.. a higher spline count on the shafts.. usually better hubs.. depending on model.. and larger shafts..
now for the flat top knuckle.. this is an open knuckle version.. in the mid 70's.. these must of been all the rage.. since jeep.. dodge.. and chevy had them on there front dana 44's.. and what it is.. is.. the outer steering knuckle.. what you spindle.. hub.. rotor.. is all attached to.. not to mention your steering linkage.. you look at the top of those.. next to the upper ball joint.. and its about 2.5" thick.. and flat.. well what we do with them is machine them flat.. and drill and tap three holes into it.. for a new steering arm.. to run a high steer setup.. i have a write up on my webpage below.. under mods.. on mine.. and this moves your tie rod.. and drag link up to the top of your knuckle.. instead of in the middle.. where it is stock..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 10:56 AM

Good explination, and the High Steer mod article helped with the visuals..

Thanks JeepGod..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode