is this a good buy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 09:41 PM
schnoot

is this a good buy?

last night i saw a 1980 cj-5 for sale in an autotrader. it has a swapped in 350, auto transmission and an np203 transfer case, all out of a 68-75 chevy truck the guy told me. i went to check it out last night. i have a jeep now, an 86 w/ a 4- banger but i am looking for more power. so its either swap in an engine or if i can find a good deal on one with a v8 then i was thinking of going that route. anyways, the cj5 has a hardtop and doors, new bucket seats, 4 pt harnesses, extra procomp lights, custom full cage and rocker bars ( the guy works at a metal fabrication place. the body has been fixed up with riveted on sheet metal but actually is halfway neat. 2.5 inch skyjacker lift with 32 inch sport kings w/ about half tread. new carburator, timing chain, gears, headers are a little rusty. all the guages and heater work. plastic gas tank. yeah thats about all the major stuff. the asking price is $3500 but they guy said his highest offer was 2500 and was considering that but waiting to see what else comes along. i figure i can get it for maybe 2700. does this sound like a good buy for a trail bomber for my cottage? i would be selling my other jeep too. also he said he has some comp. program that figures out how much hp and torque your enging makes based on what kind it is and what accessories and other specs it has. he told me it read 278 hp and 377 ft/lbs of torque. is this possible out of a 350 with headers, a cam, filter, and good heads? what do you guys think i should do? oh, and the frame is pretty solid.
thanks guys

------ bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: is this a good buy?

Sounds a little overdone to me - pretty disco. CJ5's never got an auto from the factory because of the already short rear driveline. IMHO, you're better off picking up a 258/304/360/401/etc for your existing ride. Besides, the 80 will have a Model 20 rear end (your 86 should have the venerable D44 - muy mas macho [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) Or you can go the "way cool" route and beef the 4 banger [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Seen lots of power squeezed out of them things in the dez racing days.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 06:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. One option you have is to take the 350 drive train and put in in place of your 4 dinger. And if the 350 is well built then 2700 for a motor, trans, and xcase is not a bad deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 08:42 PM
schnoot

BUMP
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 09:01 PM
gman

sounds like a deal, but did you drive it? check out the rear shaft with the auto that things got to be pretty short so I'd want to see what he did about the drive line angles? otherwise sounds like a deal! good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode