traction bar? axle tube or diff housing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 11:10 AM
RatPatrol

traction bar? axle tube or diff housing?

I am in the process of building my 3rd scout D44 housing this year, mostly due to bent and/or spun axle tubes. I was thinking about attaching my axle wrap bar to the diff housing only, keeping it close to center and the driveshaft. Would attaching it to the diff housing cause any more or less stress on the axle tubes, concerning spinning in the housing. The axle tubes are welded to the housing in 3 places on each side, about 1 inch long.(scout axle #2 was also welded this way, with the wrap bar mounted to the axle tube on the pass. side, that side bent and spun in the housing.) Any thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks,

-Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 05:27 PM
RatPatrol

Re: traction bar? axle tube or diff housing?

Anyone got some input?

-Jeremy
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 06:13 PM

Bigger axles??? Sounds like you're rough on stuff, or have a built engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 06:41 PM

its better to have it attatched to teh housing, but harder to do it that way.

make a truss that welds to teh tubes, and then bolts/welds to teh housing, and then mount teh wrap bar to that
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 07:34 AM
RatPatrol

I am building a 35 spline Dana 60 right now, to be done in the spring hopefully. I want to put this 44 back in to get me by and then sell it in the spring. I just have a little 258 and 35's.

Ozark, thats exactly what I am planning, truss it over the top and bolt and weld to the truss and housing. I want to practice on this 44 then, if it works, I'll do something similar on my 60. I remember seeing some pics of H8's traction bar on his old 8.8, and another of a 14 bolt that someone just welded gussets to the housing,(might have been on POR), does anyone else have any other pics or ideas?

Thanks guys,

-Jeremy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 10:54 AM

If you can find a secure way to affix it to the centre section that's the way to go. The torque that twists the axle tubes is transferred from the pinion to the diff housing, then down the tubes to the somewhat stationary springs. If you secure it at the tubes, you don't eliminate the problem as the tube to diff housing still experiences the same stress.

Wish I had a link, but some guy is manufacturing an axle truss that uses a ring machined to fit between the diff cover and housing, with a snout that goes over the pinion casting on the front. Looks like the best bolt on truss around. Perhaps you could use that idea to secure it to the diff housing. Not sure you can weld too easily to that housing. That's where Ford 9" comes in handy with it's fabricated housing that you can weld to.

Good luck with the project. What are you running for tires , gears and motor that twists those tubes? I also have a Scout II Dana 44 rear, but am not that hard on it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 11:25 AM
RatPatrol

I think I have seen the type of truss you are talking about, but I cant remember what the website was. I like their Idea, but I think it was a little pricey for me, and duplicating it is a little beyond my fab skills/tools. I plan to attach the truss by bolting brackets thru the webbing of the housing, and maybe a rear brace similar to an avalance rockring, bolted to the diff cover and to the back of the truss.
I dont know why I have had such bad luck with the scout housings. I have a midly built 258, T-18, dana 300, 4.56 axle gears. 35" ssr @ 8 psi. I thought it was a fluke or bad luck the first time I broke, so I got a new housing swapped gears, locker, etc. First time I took it wheeling, bent the axle tube up and forward about 1.5" at least ,just like the previous axle, and the axle tube spun in the housing a good 3/4 of an inch. Had a tough time getting the axle shaft out and definetly could not put it back in. I am going to truss this one but not going to "try" to break it so I can sell it, when I get my 60 together. It will get thoroughly tested but hopefully it will last.

-Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode