YJ to CJ Dash Conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

YJ to CJ Dash Conversion

Just wanted to let you guys know that on Saturday I bought a great-looking Black dash from an old CJ and I'm going to transplant it into my YJ. Let's hope everything goes well. I've already bought some sunpro gauges and am ready to go... Here's an example I'm sure everyone's seen. Will post pics when I get the dash up and running in the next day or two.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/swb/articles/dash.htm

-pablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 03:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: YJ to CJ Dash Conversion

Sounds like a cool project. Black will look nice. The attached pic has to be one of the best looking dashes I've ever seen; pic is from an Ebay auction. I plan on buying a dash blank and making one similar to this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 935639-i-4.JPG (21.0 KB, 53 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 05:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Good luck with this project. It will be well rewarded for sure. I really like the look of the CJ dash in a YJ. And it is not somthing that you see every day. Keep us posted with some pics as you get farther into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 05:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

have fun.. you know how you are going to do the heating duct? i welded in some steel across the top.. and then cut out the holes for the cj ducts.. i believe the windshield already has the holes in the bottom of it.. then i used a dremel and cut out he ducts by the glass... i used some expanda foam stuff for the corners of the windshield.. works o.k... of course.. thats all cj's really worked anyways.. lets see some pics..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 08:56 AM
Can't Get Enough

That does look cool. I just got a diamond plate dash for my CJ and it's good to know if I ever have to (God forbid) build a YJ I can use my new custom dash!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Jeepgod - Do you have any more detailed pics on the conversion? I'm going to get started in about an hour here, and would love to see more detail in some of your pics. My email address is [email protected], feel free to email me anything you think might be of some help.

Thanks,
Pablo
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick update - upon further examination of the CJ dash that I bought, there is rust developing on the backside of the dash. I think I'm going to start looking for another - I have found a couple of others but it's hard to come by a black one for some reason. Anybody out there have a black CJ dash w/speedo that they're willing to part with?

thanks,
pablo
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Well if the rust is just developing, why not just sand it down and paint over it? And why not just find a CJ dash and paint it black for that matter?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 06:51 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Or better yet, find a new dash and sell me that one with the little bit of rust for cheap. I have been wanting a replacement dash for my CJ since I got it, and now that I'll be doing all of the electrical behind it, I might just pull the dash to make my job that much easier. I live in the Chicago area, but I'm away at school right now. I'll be home in a few weeks so let me know.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I'm just going to sand her down and repaint it to give it a nice glossy finish. I'll probably get around to all of this at the end of the week or on saturday. i'll keep you guys posted...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode