Filling Holes in doors/tub... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 11:16 AM
Robert87yj

Filling Holes in doors/tub...

When I purchased my 87YJ, it came with little side mirrors on the full hard doors and a hard top. It also came with a soft top and half doors. In the ignorance of my youth, I thought I would be neat to put some 87 long arm type mirrors on the Jeep. When I recieved the mirrors, I didn't know where to mount them, so I drilled holes[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] in the half doors and put them there. I made sure to put some heaver gauge metal backing where the bolts went through the sheet metal. After seeing a few pictures, and concerns about having already damaged the doors, I am going to put the mirrors on the windshield hinge.
My question is, what is the best way to fill the holes in the full and half doors. Should I be concerned with making sure that the doors get painted on the inside as well as out side when I the holes patched?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 09:30 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Filling Holes in doors/tub...

It depends on the meaning of the word "best" (sorry couldn't resist). The only permanent fix is to weld or
braze the holes shut and finish with body putty. If you must, you could grind off the paint around each
hole, make about a 1/2" dia. dimple at each, and fill with body putty but it won't last forever.

You have to take the inner door panels of anyway to get those plates back out, so a little Rustoleum or
similar paint wouldn't hurt. If you want the big car clunk sound when you close the door, spray the whole
inside with undercoating.

Ron

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-1999, 09:17 PM

Re: Filling Holes in doors/tub...

If I was you, I'd probably weld the holes shut. good luck

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode