O/T Convert JD2 M3 bender to hydraulic questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

O/T Convert JD2 M3 bender to hydraulic questions

My JD2 Model 3 showed up Tues. night [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and I started looking around and found this write-up for converting it to hydraulic hydraulic conversion
Looking at the write-up and $$ for parts I started wondering if one of the long throw air/hydraulic bottle jacks would work instead of the pump, cylinder, controls, etc. Do they stll need to be pumped manually, or does the air raise them?
Any other homebuilt (low $$$) conversions out there?

Thanks Leve, forgot the O/T part [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: O/T Convert JD2 M3 bender to hydraulic questions

Sorry,

I can't help with the question but I have a bender like that (not sure the brand or model) but its the same type of bender. I am willing to part with it if somebody is interested. It comes with a 2" die, measuring ring, and a few other things. IF anybody is interested feel free to email me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 03:34 PM

Hey PBM, great minds man....

I've done this research lately. If you piece everything together from Northern as the article you have states, you wind up with over $550 in parts, before you get to the steel.

I elected to go with the Harbor Freight air/hydraulic ram. By comparison it's $89, and you only need air (can run from OBA on the rig if necessary).

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43227

I found it on POR... The ram has yet to arrive, but I'll be happy to post when it comes in...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ghlight=bender

There are several people running it, and they seem to like it. I like the $400+ cheaper aspect. Really I was just looking for something to make my bender more portable and not have to have it anchored to something.

If I can help out with anything, let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Hah, I was just reading that exact post, and searching on HF before that and found that jack. I think I will go that way as well for the $$$$ and get more dies. Does the air due the work? Or do you still pump it manually? I gues I am a bit confused on the operation of the ram [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 09:53 PM

You must have lit a fire under HF, cause the ram just came in this evening. Looks pretty beefy. The air does the work. It also has a manual jack handle so if you want to fine-tune/tweak it, you can.

Here's a pic to whet your whistle:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 933222-DSCF0068.JPG (50.6 KB, 2 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Herb- Thanks for the info. how soon are you going to start building yours. Maybe yours will be done by the time I receive the ram and I can learn from your mistakes/problems (not that you'll have any) [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 09:32 AM

I won't have the steel until at least Monday, but HF uses slow boats from China for shipping (mine took 11 days), so mine will be done before yours shows up.

Essentially what I am planning is:
1) Mount bender on some HD C-channel (probably 4-6" wide)
2) Mount 1/4" plate on bottom of the ram
3) Mount pivot point on bottom of plate/ram
4) Put legs on it (2X2 square tube)
5) Put casters on it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 09:50 AM

Hey, I wanna horn in. I recently received my model 3; It took a couple nights to get it put together right [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], and I whipped up a little table to mount it on spare steel around the garage; I also want it on casters for portability. Well, I can't bend 1 3/4" unless I get a much more solid mount or some air/hydraulic assist. HF just had their 10 ton port-apower on sale, but I missed it.

My mounting table is lacking; I sure would be interested in sharing (robbing) others' ideas [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I want it to be not only shop portable but also truck portable, so as to easily take it over to my buddies' (freeloaders) house.

Max
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 10:00 AM

Look here:
http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.a...lbum_id=103449

[image]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=bluesman2a&album_id=10344 9&image_id=1&param=18081[/image]

I wouldn't use anything less than 1/2" to mount a manual bender, there's a LOT of leverage on it. If you're still manual, and are planning on staying that way, you CAN'T mount it on casters, you need leverage to pull the handle properly.

Also make SURE you are lubricating ALL moving parts/dies with white lithium grease.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Pretty much sounds like what I am going to do. I have some spare 2"x4"x.25" that I will make the base out of, a pivoting ram mount, add some legs and casters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode