Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Bestop Replace-a-top Yes or NO? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/1412-bestop-replace-top-yes-no.html)

TOM85CJ7 10-08-1999 01:47 AM

Bestop Replace-a-top Yes or NO?

Has anyone used a Bestop Replace-a-top(R.A.T.)? There is a guy here locally that has about 50 of them for $150 each. My soft top is in pretty good shape but two of the windows are ripped. The top I have isn't original but it has Chrysler stamps on it and is dated 1994. I don't want to drill any new snap holes in my tub. I would buy a Supertop, but I can probably get my windows replaced for about $100. Should I spend the extra $50 for the R.A.T. or get my windows fixed and wait for a Supertop?

Thanks,

<font color=blue>1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.73 gears(too high), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Durabak</font color=blue>

**DONOTDELETE** 10-08-1999 09:22 AM

Re: Bestop Replace-a-top Yes or NO?

Go for it, replace a tops are usually $250-300. Are they brand new?? If they are would you be willing to purchase one for me and ship it.
thanks

TOM85CJ7 10-08-1999 09:45 AM

Brand New in the box. This guy bought out some Jeep place in Dallas. His web address is austinjeeps.com. He will probably ship to you.

<font color=blue>1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.73 gears(too high), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Durabak</font color=blue>

**DONOTDELETE** 10-08-1999 09:48 AM

Only problem I've had with the last 3 Bestop Replace a Tops is the wienie zippers they use in the windows. Lucky to get a year out of them,

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

CJ7Taz 10-08-1999 08:54 PM

Got a Bestop R-A-T. Only problem is cracked window on the driver's side 'cause I open it a little in the
winter time. Bestop sold me a new window for half price under warranty, was almost 3 years old. Go to
your local sewing supply store and buy bee's wax for the zippers. It comes in a stick like a crayon. Just
rub the end on the zipper every so often for smooth operation.

Thanks for the tip on the top, I'll buy a couple at that price if he has the right color.

Ron

CJ7Taz 10-10-1999 06:16 PM

I checked out Austin Jeeps. He says that $150 price is for white fabric only for a CJ5. For fabric only
for a Wrangler in spice, he wants $225. That's still about $30 savings over Whitney, but I don't like being
baited with "as low as" then have the price by raised 50%.

Ron