What is typically goes bad on the 2.5L engines? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

What is typically goes bad on the 2.5L engines?

I am looking for a play Jeep. Looking at a 93 YJ with a 4 cylinder 5 speed and 119,000 miles. What typically goes bad with these engines? Do they just fail or wear out (weak rings or valve seals)? I have seen a few Jeeps around that have "new" 4 cylinder engines and I am trying to determine if it is neglect or a fatal flaw in the engine.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 11:51 PM
Veteran

Re: What is typically goes bad on the 2.5L engines

crank sensor and 5th gear, other than that they are pretty reliable engines, i ran my 95 to 105k with no problems other than those, well and the cat got clogged and it ran like butt, but that's an easy fix

-web
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 07:46 AM
Addict

Re: What is typically goes bad on the 2.5L engines?

'92 4 banger here. Ive got some tranny issues (3rd gear grinds) but ran perfectly from here to tallahassee and back for its first big road trip since we got it. Im starting to like the little thing...even though it DOES have square headlights [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 08:56 AM
Old Hand

I have a 91 YJ W/ 2.5, 5spd. It had 105k when I bought it a little over 2 years ago, now it has 188k. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What typically goes bad on the 2.5L engines?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had to replace the tranny, throw out bearing, starter, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, belts, hoses, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, a couple universal joints and lots of air filters. It's only failed to start 3 times, the first and last times were due to dirty air filters and the second time I flooded it out (Don't ask [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) and it lost lube to the rings and wouldn't start for over a week. (I could have gotten it started if I had known to put a little oil in the combustion chambers [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])

Other than all that I'm extremely satisfied with it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

EDIT>>>Almost forgot.. Don't trust the gas gauge, I've ran out I don't know how many times with it reading 1/4 tank and once with it reading 1/2 tank.(I carry extra gas on trips) [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 09:58 AM
Addict

Almost forgot.. Don't trust the gas gauge, I've ran out I don't know how many times with it reading 1/4 tank and once with it reading 1/2 tank.(I carry extra gas on trips)

[/ QUOTE ]
A very valid point. I forgot about this one. I just use the trip meter. it gets to ~200 miles, its time to look for a gas station... I havent had all the above problems, though. Of course, the '92 only has less than 90K mile son it...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 02:24 PM

Those 2.5's do pretty good. The crank sensor as mentioned.

They also will go through O2 sensors.

They will start to have trouble with the rings when you run Fram oil filters and K&amp;N air filters. The lifters get noisy and you will start to see them smoke a little out past like 130k miles.

The 4-cylinder tranny does not seem to hold up very well in the late '80's-mid 90's models.

I will say that it is a noisy engine, but seems to be a good one.

Best regards

John
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 02:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The only thing that "typically" appears to plague both the 4 and 6 banger is blow by. You can fill volumes on the AMC engines that appear to suffer from this crippling afliction.

So ...look at the air cleaner carefully and see if it's been "tended to" recently.

If it's too clean ....take if for a thorough test drive under lots of varied load conditons and then check it out after your run.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 03:34 PM

What typically goes bad on the 2.5L engines?

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]The squirrels run away and hibernate in the winter [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sorry..............I had to. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

when you say blow bye, is this related to rings or valve seals or both?

Reason I ask is that this jeep has some oil on the "new" air filter and it had a bit of smoke on start up. I was hoping it is just valve seals and it would be worth the risk to purchase and throw valve seals in. This is not a daily drive but a toy.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

89 with a 2.5 and a 5 speed at 128,000, Oil pan (oops), an egr valve(idled rough)and the vacuum shift on the front axle. But all Jeeps are pretty tough.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode